Impalas.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1964 Impala SS
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone knows what the original factory side view door mirror looks like? The mirror on my car looks to be the original (in my opinion) based on the condition of the mirror. I have no reason to believe it is not the original other than the fact that I have not seen this same exact mirror on any other Impala I have seen. Most mirrors i have seen have the Chevy bow tie on the back, I always thought those were after market mirrors but have come across one of those bow tie mirrors in ebay that claims to be original nos. My particular mirror has a phillips head screw on the back to tighten the mirror after adjusting (which I Like). The reason I am asking is because I want to mount another mirror on the passenger side but I want to make sure it is original and correct for the car. I already found and have in my possession an identical original mirror of the one that's currently on my car. So by looking at the picture does anyone recognize this to be an original? I have included a picture of the one on eBay with the bow tie and also a picture of one that classic industries sells which is very close to what I have except it does not have the screw on the back. Opinions are very appreciated

·
Registered
1964 Impala SS
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes exactly. That's why i like the one that is already on my car. I'm just curious if they are the factory original.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
When I got my 64 in 1982, it has the drivers side only and it looked like the Classic Industries reproduction, except it did not have the bow tie logo on it. It is entirely possible that my mirror was replaced before I got the car, but it did not look fresh, so I lean towards that being original. Here is a picture of the one that was on it:

Photo from the 80's, you can kinda see the mirror:

·
Registered
1964 Impala SS
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have seen your mirror on many other Impalas. Totally different from what i have. My mirror curves forward towards the hood and yours curves towards the driver window. So your mirror is closer to you the driver. Not sure how that affects the view, just a different design. Also, there is no adjustment screw on the back of yours. Did you have issues with keeping tension on the mirror? Mirror flop?

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Mine stays put unless you bump into it. I suppose the get old and the tension can be lost.
Perhaps your mirror is an aftermarket or comes from another car and somebody thought it looked good. Lots of stuff happens to these cars over the years. On your mirror, does the bracket under the mirror have the same mounting holes as the popular reproduction? I know in my case, the reproduction matched the holes I had in the top of the door.
It is rather frustrating that most advertising photos leave the mirrors off :-\

I rummaged through my collection of photos from the internet, and found a couple that might be of interest

Undated, and a 63, but you can just make out the backward tilt of the mirror support.

There is a 64 in the center of this one, but it is harder to tell here:

This is a more convincing photo, dated 1966

·
Registered
1964 Impala SS
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes anything is possible. I like the mirror i have because it seems to be different from all the others and it has the tension screw on the back. But I'd still like to know just for personal knowledge what the correct mirror was from the factory. I can't image they had more than two styles for the Impala, one for the reg Impala and one for the SS.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Well, based on "group think reproductions", my experience and the old photos, we can say with 99% confidence, that the repro style is the correct mirror. But your mirror is cool looking. So if you like it, go for it. I suspect if you browse other original GM mirrors of the period, you might find the one you have.

·
Registered
1964 Impala SS
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, I plan on keeping the one I have. I like it and it's old vintage style. That's the look I want for my car, Original and Classic. Nice chatting with you 👍🏼

·
Registered
17 Posts
my 64 SS has the mirror looks exactly like the one you have on yours now so i would say its original style

·
Registered
1964 Impala SS
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
my 64 SS has the mirror looks exactly like the one you have on yours now so i would say its original style
Nice! I agree, it must be the original mirror. I came across an ad on ebay for an original 63' mirror and it was very similar to ours. Slightly different design but very close, and it had the tension screw on the back just like ours. I've never seen an aftermarket/Repop mirror with the screw on the back.
Thanks for the reply (y)

·
Registered
1964 Impala SS
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice Car by the way (y) Two-tone white top just like mine! Is yours the original color? What color is it?

·
Registered
17 Posts
thanks no its original color is white with light blue interior
car has all original parts on it and factory ac . I always wanted powder blue white top
blue interior so half way there

1 - 13 of 13 Posts