Impalas.net banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My right turn signal will not blink. Here is what I know so far:

The turn signal switch in the column was doing other funny things so I figured it was going bad and I replaced it. That fixed some things but not the right turn signal not blinking issue. While trying to figure out the issue, a little piece of spring metal which appear to be a contact inside the switch fell out. Got a new switch and just plugged it in to the harness without installing in column to try to find my issue and eliminate the possibility of something with the wiring in steering column. No luck.

Stop running lights work fine. Switched bulbs from right to left and they work.

As far as I know the ground for the bulbs comes from the socket to the light housing. I cleaned up those surfaces and reinstalled the socket.

I can trigger the right lights to blink by using a lead to my multimeter to bridge the right post to the left post in the switch while the left is blinking.

The dash indicator lights up dim (no flash) when the switch is set to right.

I tested the right signal wire at the bulbs and get a constant 6V when right signal is activated. Voltage jumps all around on the left light when it is blinking.

Replaced flasher relay

Still have same issue with right turn signal not flashing.

The car was a complete older restoration with new wiring that looks in good condition. I know that doesn’t mean there isn’t a bad wire somewhere just saying it’s not the original wiring in the car. Issue just started happening.

Anyone got an idea of what to check next?

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Not sure you meant to say 6v but if you did then that's your problem, 6v will be too low a voltage to trigger the relay to interrupt the power supply & create the flash.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure you meant to say 6v but if you did then that's your problem, 6v will be too low a voltage to trigger the relay to interrupt the power supply & create the flash.
Definitely is 6V. Which probably explains the dim indicator light on the dash. i don’t think it’s the wiring going back to the lights since I can make them flash by jumping them from the flashing left signal. Problem is not sure where to look next.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Because its just started happening & your harness is new, the most likely cause is going to be either a bad earth or poor/corroded wiring connection on the rhs circuit. I'd be checking earth points first because its easiest. Knowing that the indicator body to chassis is the earth, you can test for improvement by simply creating your own earth. Just grab a length of wire & while the rhs indicator is activated touch the wire to the indicator body & a good bare metal earth point, with luck you'll get it flashing & then be able to solve the bad earth.

You could also check for voltage drop at the wiring harness socket that attaches to each indicator, which is effectively checking the wiring..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Because its just started happening & your harness is new, the most likely cause is going to be either a bad earth or poor/corroded wiring connection on the rhs circuit. I'd be checking earth points first because its easiest. Knowing that the indicator body to chassis is the earth, you can test for improvement by simply creating your own earth. Just grab a length of wire & while the rhs indicator is activated touch the wire to the indicator body & a good bare metal earth point, with luck you'll get it flashing & then be able to solve the bad earth.

You could also check for voltage drop at the wiring harness socket that attaches to each indicator, which is effectively checking the wiring..
thanks for the replies. I get back on testing in the morning. When I find the issue I will post here if anyone else has the same issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

after doing some more testing this morning, I can find a voltage drop of 6V between the right and left turn signal wires. Am I right to assume that this is my problem and there is a short between those wires?

·
Registered
98 Posts
They're 2 separate circuits that are activated independently of each other. If voltage from the rhs was crossing to the lhs you would expect to see the lhs indicators lite up when the rhs is activated.

Do a voltage test at the socket as I mentioned previously, if it's still 6v you'll need to backtrack on the power wire until you can find 12v, essentially you have too much resistance somewhere, so the full 12v is not getting through, so a poor or corroded connection somewhere.

It won't be power going to earth, if it was you'd be blowing fuses.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts