Impalas.net banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,156 Posts
... I do have a simple question - what's the best way to connect 6 wires into one? Right now, I'm just connecting 2 or 3 into one, then connecting those 2 wires into one. I basically twist them together, solder them and then put some heat shrink of it. This is for my gauge lights.
A distribution block allows you to power one side of the strip and anything you want to power will screw into the strip provided you have enough power available. If each of your 6 wires is another circuit powering a single device you might want to add a circuit breaker or fuse to protect your circuits. Radio shack sells them.

Big Dave

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Most of the ones i've seen are like this and would require some type of daisy chaining of the terminals... (taken from Allan's link, but just like Radio Shacks...). I'm concerned about having the 12v+ exposed & all the daisy chaining. Am I thinking/looking at the wrong one? I didn't want to buy an 8GA or larger distribution block designed for car audio unfortunately; I'm looking for something more designed for 16GA distribution...

After thinking about it, it's no different than the exposed terminals on the fuseblock, what about chaining the terminals together so they all have the same 12v+?

·
Premium Member
13,156 Posts
The fuse block is indeed live with 12 volts present. The power strip can be purchased with a copper or brass metal strip stamped to feed all of the top (or bottom depending upon how it is mounted) row of screws rather than wiring a serirs of wires to form a daisy chain. It is functionally the same whether hand wired ot fed by a strip of metal.

Big Dave

·
Registered
109 Posts
Wiring fuse block

I believe you can purchase one that has a hinged or snap on cover. I've also seen ones with a plastic sleeve that slides into place covering exposed terminals. You can also make your own loops with a cheap set of "eye" or "ring" or "fork" connectors using your extra wire and a crimp tool or they make what they call buss bars that dave talked about, that are metallic and specifically for terminal block jumps. Be sure to use connectors same gauge as wire. If radio shack doesn't have covered insulated terminal blocks, elelctrical supply store should.

·
Registered
109 Posts
That will work

Now to finish and I think BA and Dave would agree, add a secondary fuse to protect overload...Depending on how many devices you are combining, you may want to add a second terminal block(fused) and decrease 6 wire jumps to 3. It's better to have a primary and secondary fuse on each device than to have multiple devices depending on one fuse. With a multimeter check for voltage at each used terminal to check your work.

-----------------
Honey the garage is mine, you can have the rest.:yes:

·
Premium Member
13,156 Posts
I personally like BUSS brand circuit breakers as they are actually cheaper and far more reliable than a handful of loose quick blow fuses that are hard to replace in the dark in the middle of no where when the car breaks down. You need to determine what the design load should be and protect each circuit with it's own circuit breaker and protect the bus with the sum of the loads anticipated in it's own branch breaker so that you do not blow the master fuse which is the car's fusible link (it is worthwhile keeping a spare fusible link in your tool box for that unlit moonless night emergency repair). Car circuits (DC circuits) behave just like the AC circuits you find in your house (assuming RMS voltage as the operating voltage) with a master circuit breaker and smaller branch circuits protected by lighter load circuit breakers or fuses if the house is old enough (don't try a penny under the fuse with a penny in current circulation as it isn't made of copper any more but copper clad zinc which will pop like a flash bulb under the load).

Big Dave

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hey Big Dave

[email protected] Unlit moonless night emergency repairs.... Sounds like the voice of experience from the heavens:beers:. RMS ratings might confuse some but on the money with breakers. Never tried the penny's, I wrap mine in tin-foil...:D Ping a new harness is looking better and better the further this goes...make your runs this weekend and replace the angel hair pasta...or is it linguini....LOL....sorry couldn't help it..(trade joke)

21 - 30 of 30 Posts