Impalas.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have scoured the internet and read a lot of posts. I am really stuck on what new wheels and tires to purchase. I am leaning towards Torq Thrust IIs in either 17s or 18s. Finding a suitable tire size is a challenge. I am trying to hit that 28" rear and 27" front diameter. These sizings are not commonly made. I am leaning toward a rear of 255/55/18 (29" diameter). Anyone have a similar sized tire? With a 245/45/18(26.7" diameter). That is over a 2" diff. It that a concern? The nose is high so having some drop is good. Any and all opinions valued. Pictures with sizes are very much appreciated.

Thanks, Shawn

·
Premium Member
13,142 Posts
Tire selection is better for the seventeen inch diameter wheel. This is because the big three factory wheels are all at least seventeen inch wheels; with high performance cars getting twenties. This is to clear their thirteen inch disc brake rotors, which is now the standard in braking. There are the fifteen inch carbon fiber rotors, and ceramic pucks being the go to factory hot rods such as the Viper, Corvette, and other high speed cars with a over a hundred mile per hour tires.

Big Dave

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I could not find a decent width 17" tire with a 28" diameter. Anyone running a 29" diameter on a 17 or 18" rim?
I found some 275/45/18 which are a decent diameter(27.7) however I am concerned with a 275 tire on a 9" rim.

·
Premium Member
13,142 Posts
Only way you will find the combo you seek is with a truck tire (Has LT in the tire size). Car tires today have much less side wall so the tire I would pick:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...oYear=1967&autoModel=Chevelle+SS&autoModClar=

Requires a 17" x 7" inch wheel (though an eight inch wide wheel will also work).

Almost all high sped performance tires made today are going to have a 60 to 45 side wall aspect ratio. As such they will not be very tall. This is especially true in a 17" or larger wheel. To get a tall side wall with a 70 or 78 ratio tread to side wall you are going to have to go back to a 14" to 15" inch wheel, or use a LT six ply truck tire.

Big Dave

·
Super Moderator
3,455 Posts
I have Nitto 450's. 275.x50x17 (27.8" tall) on the rear of my 66. (255x50x17 front) I wanted a decent sidewall and tried to keep 'older musclecar' look to things. I'm using a 9.5" rear rim IIRC.

I haven't shopped 18" tires but with a big car like the Impala, I think an 18" rim looks good on the back.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts