Impalas.net banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the site, just picked this car up with original 427 block and have the build sheet. My question, did these 4 spd convertibles come with just muncie 4sp trans, or did they also have a option for a saginaw trans? How much would this affect the value if the trans is not original. Might contemplate selling in the future and wanted to get the community thoughts....thanks!

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Good question, I would say most likely, if not for sure, a Muncie. Do you have a Saginaw in there now?

Also is the car US built or Canadian?

Also curious to what your Build Sheet states.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good question, I would say most likely, if not for sure, a Muncie. Do you have a Saginaw in there now?

Also is the car US built or Canadian?

Also curious to what your Build Sheet states.
It has a saginaw now, I am located in Indiana, registered with my work computer which is canadian based. Car was built in Wilmington, DE

·
Registered
46 Posts
New to the site, just picked this car up with original 427 block and have the build sheet. My question, did these 4 spd convertibles come with just muncie 4sp trans, or did they also have a option for a saginaw trans? How much would this affect the value if the trans is not original. Might contemplate selling in the future and wanted to get the community thoughts....thanks!
Most would have a close ratio or wide ratio muncie 4 speed or the turbo 400 auto. There may have been an option for a 3 speed saginaw trans but it would be a 3 on the tree configuration and the car would not have a center console, or it would be a plain center console without a shifter hole. Such a car would be extremely rare.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
The chart provided on page #7 proves it. The three 4-Speeds listed are an M-20 (Wide Ratio), M-21 (Close Ratio) and an M-22 (Rock Crusher), all Muncie Transmissions.

Someone had to have put the Saginaw in. If the car came with an M-22, someone may not have liked it. The whine is music to us, but some won't like it.

Real nice car by the way.

Reactions: 65_&_67_Impala

·
Registered
133 Posts
Yep very nice. Here's a pic of the shifter from the article I linked to, you may have missed it, you needed to click an image to find it.

Automotive design Automotive lighting Bumper Automotive exterior Hood

·
Registered
300 Posts
....There may have been an option for a 3 speed saginaw trans but it would be a 3 on the tree configuration and the car would not have a center console, or it would be a plain center console without a shifter hole. Such a car would be extremely rare.
All 1966 Impala SS's had consoles. 3-speed on the column cars would for sure have a console with the shifter blanked out.

·
Registered
300 Posts
On the build sheet, "DD" is the code for the rear axle. This decodes to be a 3:31 12 bolt, non-posi. I'm 99% sure this car originally came with a wide-ratio M20 Muncie.

Reactions: 62BillT

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
On the build sheet, "DD" is the code for the rear axle. This decodes to be a 3:31 12 bolt, non-posi. I'm 99% sure this car originally came with a wide-ratio M20 Muncie.
The Build Sheet lists "4XP" for the Trans. Wondering if that can tell us which Muncie it came with. As I have no idea on what that Code tells us.

Reactions: BigDogSS

·
Registered
300 Posts
I saw that code "4XP", but I do not know what transmission it decodes to be. Maybe Warren or Paul can help here.
Typically, close-ratio transmissions are paired with 3.73:1 and steeper gears.

Reactions: 62BillT

·
Registered
348 Posts
I saw that code "4XP", but I do not know what transmission it decodes to be. Maybe Warren or Paul can help here.
Typically, close-ratio transmissions are paired with 3.73:1 and steeper gears.
yeah, and I'm finding nothing on the internet in reference to 4XP. I'm also looking at the other boxes on the build sheet and those don't really have codes you can figure out either. even the engine code starts of with 'IH'. the RPO codes are below but the codes in the build sheet boxes don't correlate. that tells me those are assembly part# codes. we used to do similar when I worked at Dell computers about 15 yrs ago on the server build line. the part#'s on the bins did not correlate to the scannable code on the build sheet in the bin you placed all the parts in.
so it'll have to be either one of the knowledgeable guys or someone that happens to have a list of those codes

1 - 19 of 19 Posts