Impalas.net banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Nice "Barn Find". I like the 4-Speed part. Looks like it would be a good restoration project for someone. If the Hood is in good condition, it would be the most rare part of the car.

·
Super Moderator
3,656 Posts
cool listing and super cool car, kind of a shame the original 427 doesn't sound like its around, just the replacement 69 427. (still cool though)
definitely a great project for someone.

·
Registered
1967 Impala SS 427
66 Posts
Hey boys...and she's all mine!!! What's better than one 67 SS 427??? TWO OF THEM!!! I snatched her up. I couldn't believe nobody pulled the trigger. She's loaded! I pick her up Sunday so I'm not sure if all the options are factory or not but it has factory air, factory 4 speed, Simulated wood wheel(a couple of cracks), Factory U14 5500 RPM tach dash, 4 piston front disc, F41 suspension, Bolero red with white top and white interior. Tons of NOS parts, 4 brand new DC stamped NOS wheels in box. Multiplex stereo with eight track. Body and floors supposedly very clean but I won't know until Sunday. Nicest old couple in the world. He got it out of Illinois in 1990 and its been in the garage since then pretty much untouched. All the trim seems to be there and the hood is pretty nice! I'm going to do a meticulous frame-off on her

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Congrats. Sounds impressive. Glad to see that you bought it. Keep us posted on it and don't forget the pictures.

·
Registered
1967 Impala SS 427
66 Posts
Thanks. I will upload the first set of pics once I get her home and unpack/inventory everything. Should be next week sometime. It's ridiculous, I feel like a kid again at Christmas! I mean who really ever gets a barn find? I only ever read about them and dreamed. And now I have one. I will keep you guys posted. You know, I just couldn't figure out how I even won it??? There was 14,000 views in two days and 60 watchers and nobody made an offer??? I think all the boxes scared everybody away but after talking to his wife for a while she filled me in that he is pretty much a hoarder. It took them a couple days to get it unburied and prepped for me to pick up. It's killing me because I wanted to get it already but my wife took the twins to Disney, I have to pick them up at the airport tomorrow and then the bank didn't help matters either because nowadays banks don't have dog gone cash anymore! You have to order your own money a week ahead of time to get more than $10k in cash! Oh well, I guess Sunday will be here soon enough.

·
Registered
1967 Impala SS 427
66 Posts
And I will tell you guys one more thing...now hear me out before you go crazy on me. My first thought was "wow, I can flip this thing and double my money", Then I thought "I can tear this thing apart and triple my money" and finally I told my wife I can't desecrate this car, it is true history. So then I told her I wanted to do a full restoration and then sell it. And FINALLY, I said "hey hon, I don't think I can let her go. Do you mind if I restore it and park it next to my other one?" She said I knew you were going to keep it all along!!!LOL And that's a true story guys!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Awesome story! Congratulations!! I'm glad you are not going to flip it. I can't wait to see pictures.
I see the car was built at the Van Nuys, CA assembly plant ("L" in the VIN). I wonder if it was originally deliver in California? FYI, All California delivered cars had RPO K19 - AIR equipment (smog pump) installed. Of course, when we were kids, the first thing we did was pitch the smog pump. I now think it is cool to see a car restored with the K19 retained.

BTW, I'm getting ready to start restoration on my 1967 Impala SS w/396 (with K19). I've owned this car since 1986 and now call it --> "my own personal barn find" ...Lol...

Reactions: 62BillT

·
Registered
1967 Impala SS 427
66 Posts
Well Big Dog you smacked with with my first bout of depression with this project!lol Your wealth of knowledge with the "L" for Van Nuys pretty much dealt me my first blow as I'm quite sure that was one of the three plants that did not designate the 4D on the cowl tag. My SS 427 is a Lordstown built vehicle that does have the 4D and unfortunately even with the many true 4D cars that exist without it being stamped on the cowl tag it always leaves the door open for the naysayers and pessimists. But nonetheless I am going to pretty much make this car perfect over the next 4-5 years. I am even researching the correct paint to have the frame sprayed as I do not want to powder coat it in satin black because that would be an incorrect finish. I will keep my Impala family updated as the project moves forward!

·
Registered
318 Posts
You might be in luck!! Here are a few cowl tags from Van Nuys. I don't know where I got the first two, but I personally snapped the last photo. I think the South Gate, CA assembly plant is one of the plants not to code "4D".
Automotive tire Tread Tire Synthetic rubber Rim
Audio equipment Electronic instrument Font Electronic device Electronic component
Automotive tire Gas Bumper Office equipment Font

·
Registered
1967 Impala SS 427
66 Posts
OK, here is the first of many follow ups. You were right big dog! She has the 4D 5Y(deluxe belts still in car) on the cowl tag! So she is a gem...original paint, original carpet. Trunk, floors and frame extremely clean(will need cleaning/blasting of course but zero rot). Body very clean with a bit of rot through above drivers side rear tire(about 3/4" high by 8" wide). The oddest thing is the drivers fender has a huge hole rotted out below the 427(bigger than your fist) emblem the other fender is spotless. Doors/rockers beautiful. 62Bill hope you have a clean fender...doubting it because we've talked before and I think your cars are pretty picked through. Anybody else with a line up on a clean drivers fender please chime in. PLENTY of pics will follow in the near future once she's unpacked and inventoried(still in trailer).

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Had a good drivers side fender for many, many years. Funny as it wasn't selling, but finally sold a short while back. I will let you know if I find or see another.

·
Registered
1967 Impala SS 427
66 Posts
Here she is! So the floors, trunk, rockers, doors and quarters are 98% solid. The floors have two 1/2" spots that will need a patch. The drivers fender is the oddest thing as to how badly it rotted for as clean as this car is. Guys could you please decipher the cowl tag and educate me on what this car was born as. The paint and carpet is definitely original too.

Attachments

·
Registered
318 Posts
12C = The body build date tells the month and week the body was produced. 02 = December 1966, B = 3rd week.
67 = Model year --> 1967.
16887 = Body style --> Chevrolet Impala SS 2-door coupe, V8.
LOS = Assembly plant --> Van Nuys, CA.
3446 = Sequential number of the the 2 door hardtop Impala body built at the Van Nuys plant.
895 = Interior code --> Parchment. Material type is: Vinyl (Impala SS coupe) Seat type: Bucket.
S = Bucket seats with headrests.
R-R = Body Paint code --> R = Lower --> Bolero Red; A = Upper --> Bolero Red.
E = (Accessory codes, Group 1, the "1" is implied) Tinted glass.
2ELSR = (Accessory codes) 2 = Group 2; E = Air conditioning; L = 4 speed transmission, wide ratio; S = Rear antenna; R = Rear speaker.
4D = (Accessory codes) 4 = Group 4; D = SS427
5Y = (Accessory codes) 5 = Group 5; Y = Custom front and rear deluxe seat beats with front re-tractors.

Reactions: 62BillT

·
Registered
1967 Impala SS 427
66 Posts
Thanks Big Dog! You're the best! And, yes, it seemed to me the vinyl top was factory but apparently somebody added it. Well, I'm going for factory perfect so as unique as it would have been, I'm deleting the top.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts