Impalas.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking around to see if going the EFI route on my 67 would be a realistic option and I'm having a hard time finding a fuel tank that would not have to be cut and hacked up by me.

It seems like they have a ton of 64-66 custom tanks than bypass 67 and go to the late 60's. I have compared images of a 68 tank and it looks almost the exact same. Anyone compare the two or have any idea where they might be different? The specs on Tanks Inc and a few others list them the same. If nothing else have have no problem getting a generic one that doesn't look OEM, but I also don't want to pay $1000 either. Thanks for the insite.

·
Super Moderator
1,511 Posts
You can use the 91-96 plastic tank and sender. Use whatever pump you need for your EFI.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No message from Rick's yet. I did talk with Classic Industries and they have a tank which ends up being one of Rick's but it's $1200, ouch!!

·
Super Moderator
1,511 Posts
Yes, that tank is very close. You will have to make a cut in the trunk floor to clearance the sender. A buddy on another forum used this tank in his 66 when he installed an LT1 (94-96 version).

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My goal was to avoid cutting a hole in the trunk floor. Most of these EFI tanks had the recessed area for the equipment to not hit things. Or if nothing else buy something like this with a new tank and have it welded in at a local fab shop for the pump.

Weld in Fuel Pump Recess

·
Registered
111 Posts
My goal was to avoid cutting a hole in the trunk floor. Most of these EFI tanks had the recessed area for the equipment to not hit things. Or if nothing else buy something like this with a new tank and have it welded in at a local fab shop for the pump.

Weld in Fuel Pump Recess
I have my tank from my 68 Impala that I was going to use but sold the car before I could install it the tank is brand new it is from tanks inc and it already has the PA-4 pump installed neither has been ran with gasoline yet if you ae still looking for an option. PM Me

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Any idea on what the difference is between a 1967 and a 1969 tank? Does the tank also have the spot for the sending unit?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Any idea on what the difference is between a 1967 and a 1969 tank? Does the tank also have the spot for the sending unit?
Not sure if that was a typo regarding the "1969 tank" I will assume so lol, but the difference between the 2 tanks are two different part # one part # is a GM53a and a GM53 c the ONLY difference is that the one comes with a filler neck GM53c and the other does not GM53a but they are both physically the same size weight dimension, and everything essentially it is the same tank. The tank I am referring to has the filler neck attached to it already and also it does have the provisions for a sending unit unfortunately I do not have that I think they are like $30 on ebay.

Attachments

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes the tanks look almost the same, but most sites have the years as different models, no clue what the differences are.

I wish they just have a custom EFI for the '67 like this one for the '65-'66.

·
Registered
111 Posts
The tanks are the exact same look at the measurements of the tank they are identical!! Don't be confused just because they have a different part number and I know for a fact the 67-68 tanks are interchangeable my 68 tank was test fit onto a 67 and fit like a glove!!! Give the folks at tanksinc a call really nice people!!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Tanksinc will set up the tank for 67 with their in tank fuel pump. The cost is around $650 shipped, depending on your FI system requirements. I have had their tank on my Chevelle for 4-5 years now with no issues.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts