Impalas.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, new to the forum so bear with me. I’m about to purchase a 67 4 door hard top for cheap but the frame is in pretty poor shape. One decent sized hole that my body guy says he can fix. IF HE CANT....what other frames will fit a 4 door hardtop that I can purchase and swap I’m getting mixed answers all around. Any help would be awesome thanks.

·
Premium Member
13,148 Posts
Welcome to the Team!

As far as I know 1965-'67 full size (B-body) cars are the same between the two door and the four dour cars. All interchange with the exception of the Convertible (has a deeper stronger boxed frame), and the Wagon which is longer and uses leaf springs in the rear instead of coil springs).

Big Dave

·
Registered
152 Posts
I am doing a frame swap on my 66 SS Hardtop right now. I'll. All frames 65-70 will fit and are the same size, the convertible has some different mounts that would need to be adjusted to fit a hardtop.

Link to my thread-
https://www.impalas.net/forums/8-restoration-corner/38408-66-impala-frame-replacement.html

Found a 66 frame for my 66 hardtop. They are out there. I paid $900 to have it shipped to my door from WI to MO, and then another $700 to have it sand blasted and powder coated. I have seen prices all over for frames. $500 to $2500. If you decide to replace it remember that you will want the while I'm there stuff to replace. (Brake lines, fuel lines, suspension, engine, etc... :) )

I guess it depends on how much you like the 4 door and how much money you want to spend on it. The don't sell for much restored.

My frame was bad on both sides behind the front tires. I talked to a couple body shop guys and they wanted to lift the body off and remove about 2 feet of frame on both sides to fix by welding in new metal. Hours of labor, with that amount of time and money I decided have replaced with a newer frame. I do have a lift in my garage so that helped too.

my old frame..

how the new one came-

It was a Southern car frame had a Georgia vin stamped on it.

After blast-

After coat

In progress...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts