Impalas.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I am in need of a new or well remanufactured or restored steering wheel for a 1967 Chevrolet Impala, the ones in the catalogs such as OER or Classic are not correct and the horn button from the original will not fit these poor quality clones that don’t match in any way shape or form. I have seen plenty of the original correct steering wheels but most are in such poor condition that I question that they can even be fixed. It seems that once the plastic cracks it very aggressively shrinks and the wheel will sometimes even loose its shape. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? Thank you. Mark.

·
Lifetime Premium Member
905 Posts
It may be a tough to find original wheel in good condition. I was using my cracked one until finally got the reproduction steering wheel. You are right that the reproduction is not that great. The color does not match and the horn shroud does not fit tightly. The imperfections are not that noticeable unless you are inside the car in the front seat though after spending $200 I thought I would get better product. If you want to stay as close to original as possible, your only option may be to find one with just cracks on the outer rim and fix those. Then you can paint the steering wheel. Mine was cracked at the base so it was beyond repair.

·
Super Moderator
13,085 Posts
Welcome to the Team Mark!

Depending upon how bad it is you can repair or rebuild a lot of the wheel using other parts of the wheel to make a Plaster of Paris mold to pour the rubberized plastic used to fix it.

Big Dave

·
Registered
441 Posts
You can completely remove the plastic w/a sanding disc & make a wood steering wheel. I make a template on my drafting table & cut the walnut
in 4 pcs per side. I then epoxyed the wood & when set rounded w/a router. I put the finger grips in it w/a round sanding disc.

Donnie

·
Registered
37 Posts
You can completely remove the plastic w/a sanding disc & make a wood steering wheel. I make a template on my drafting table & cut the walnut
in 4 pcs per side. I then epoxyed the wood & when set rounded w/a router. I put the finger grips in it w/a round sanding disc.

Donnie

Could we see a picture of that steering wheel? It sounds just like what I'd like to do for my '68's badly cracked steering wheel....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts