Impalas.net banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 68 has a rubber fuel line running from front to back, suspended from clothes hangers, wire, and whatever the previous owner had to tie it off with. I didn't feel safe driving it this way so I bought a replacement from a guy parting out a solid car. He already had the car apart when I bought it, so I did not see how he got it out.

Now the problem, how the heck does it go in? I am coming to the conclusion that the only way to replace it without cutting it is to undo the frame/chassis mounts and separate them, slipping the fuel hard line in between, because of the monster bend upward it takes around the rear floor boards, there seems to be no way of fishing around all the obstacles. Maybe I'm missing something.

Can anyone confirm this, or recommend an easier way. I don't want to dive in and start separating the chassis from the frame, if it's not necessary.

Thanks,

Dave

·
Registered
403 Posts
I am not sure about a 68 but the 70,s the line went on the inside of the frame they have clips that hold it in place just like the brake lines. Also could think about running stainless steel braided hose on the inside of the frame.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I replaced fuel lines on 3 68 hardtops. There is only about 1" of space between the body and frame where it goes over the rear axle. The only way to replace the steel line correctly is to lift the body off the frame, at least the rear portion of the body has to come up about 3'' to snake the line up and over. At the very least, loosen the front 4 body bolts and remove the 6 center and rear bolts to jack up the rear part of the body. Don S

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, after a couple more hours last night of fussing around with it, it seems that 68SS427 is correct. I figure since I'm going to have to undo most the body bolts anyway, I'll order new mounts as the car has the originals on there, that are dry-rotted and worn. Maybe for the better. I'll keep you posted.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts