Impalas.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.. have a question will a frame from a 1968 impala hard top fit a 68 impala convertible

·
Super Moderator
3,455 Posts
If your 68 is anything like my 66 the short answer is that it will probably fit but it's a bad idea.

The convertible frames are boxed in - like a full square/rectangle - where-as non-Verts are shaped like a 'C'. 3 sides of the square/rectangle shape. The Verts really need that for extra strength since it doesn't have the structural hardtop. You put a regular frame under a Vert and it will have more twist and lousy torsional rigidity. Things could go bad quickly.

Also, I believe our Verts have an extra set of body mounts in the back trunk area that non-Verts don't have. You'd need to fabricate that into existance on a non-Vert frame.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok... thanks alot I'll keep looking for the correct frame for my convertible. This guy had 2 hardtop frames and my buddy is parting out his 68 coupe told me to buy the frame.. good thing I didn't

·
Registered
11 Posts
Here is the frame mount diagram for a 68 for current and future reference:

You’d have to add a couple of mounts, and then close the frame with another strong brace to make it all work. Not a big deal for a full fabrication shop, but enough to scare my shade-tree behind from taking on. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts