Impalas.net banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I had trouble finding a 68' impala ignition switch everyones been backordered for a while now, Does anyone know if in 68' caprice and impala use the same ignition switch? Will a 67' Impala ignition switch work cause they're in stock as well!
I dont mind buying a new key and cylinder, on some websites it lists them all together under the same part number for 68' chevelle/impala/caprice..alittle confused here.. Thanks in Advance.

·
Premium Member
13,156 Posts
1968 the ignition switch is in the steering column and not on the dash. That is the big difference between 1967 and 1968. The trim will be different on a Caprice switch compared to an Impala switch (more ribs, brighter chrome I have no idea what the difference would be).

Big Dave

·
Registered
467 Posts
I have never seen a pre-'69 Chevrolet with a column-mounted ignition. As for whether or not the '67 and '68s will interchange: I'd bet that they would - they may not be an exact match, but the dashboards were similar for those two years. If you're in dire need of an ignition - try a '67. Do you still have the trim bezel for your Caprice? It may actually work! Good luck.

·
Registered
122 Posts
the 68 impala ignition switch is in the dash...( I had one) 69 was the first year for column ign. switch...I dont have a parts book so I cant tell you if 67 fits

·
Premium Member
13,156 Posts
Sorry for the misinformation! I knew the switch jumped locations, and assumed since 1967-1968 had the break it was in 1968 that they stuck it it on the column (my mom had a 1968 Caprice, but I couldn't remember where the key went from memory). Mechanically it is the same switch as the 1967 as the only thing difference will be in what you see on the outside (trim).

Big Dave

·
Registered
66 Posts
68 impala and Caprice switches are the same unless the Caprice had hide-away headlights; but the wiring should be the same. I cant think why a 67 wouldnt work in a pinch.

·
Registered
704 Posts
68 impala and Caprice switches are the same unless the Caprice had hide-away headlights; but the wiring should be the same. I cant think why a 67 wouldnt work in a pinch.
You might be thinking of the headlight switch. Hide-aways wouldn't matter for the ignition switch. Only difference I can think of is the key buzzer on a '68. Since they list separate part numbers there has to be some difference.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The full-size Chevy cars for 1968 used two part numbers for the ignition switch, first 1116697, and then changed to 1116702 in December of 1967. My Impala was built in May of '68 and has the 1116702 switch in it. I verified this when I had it out and saw that it is stamped with "702" on the switch housing. This switch was apparently also used on the '68 Corvette.

·
Registered
82 Posts
The key minder feature was added to the in-dash ignition switch in 1968. So I would think that you should be able to use the 1967 switch in a 1968 dash. There just won't be a connector position in your 1967 switch for the key buzzer. In 1969 all ignition switches in GM passenger cars were installed on top of the steering column jacket, down under the dash.

So the in-dash ignition switch with the key minder feature was a one year only switch in 1968. That is why it is so hard to find.

The following paper is in Microsoft Word format. I will eventually get around to changing it to pdf format. It was scanned from the 1968 Chevrolet Chassis Service Manual.
http://jimshea.corvettefaq.com/?p=885
This paper describes the in-dash ignition switch. It also has a scan that shows the 1968 switch with the new key buzzer connector position in the center of the switch. It indicates that the pink and black wire in the 1968 vehicle harness connects at that center position.

Jim

1 - 11 of 11 Posts