Impalas.net banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was planning on putting a 1980-85 350 in my 1968 Bel Air wagon. The problem is, 80-85 has a passenger side dipstick. The dipstick configuration is not the problem. The shape of the 80-85 pan and the fact that it's not going to clear the crossmember and centerlink is the problem.

To my knowledge, there is not a passenger side dipstick pan that is configured similar to a stock 65-68 three-step pan. I had thought I might use the bottom half of a 65-68 pan and weld it to the top of my 80-85 pan...I'm positive it will be a lot of work and test my fab skills. Perhaps I can get by with just modifying my 80-85 pan to make it similar to a 65-68 pan without changing the entire bottom 2/3's? I'm hoping there are other options...I know a custom made pan is going to set me back more than I paid for the car.

So, I'm reaching out to this invaluable resource in hopes that someone here has already invented that wheel and can steer me back on course...

Thoughts??

Thanks!

Gary

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Although my knowledge pretty much stops at '72, can't you just use an original type '68 Pan?

Reactions: scabpicker

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Although my knowledge pretty much stops at '72, can't you just use an original type '68 Pan?
Thank you 62BillT...I cannot. A 68 pan has a driver's side oil dipstick. The block casting curves out where the dipstick goes through the block and into the pan. The pan is stamped to match that casting curvature in the block...

It's 180* opposite on a 1980+ block...

I'll post some photos tomorrow when I'm back in my shop...

Reactions: 62BillT

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
A friend of mine just dropped in an '80's 350 into his '65. The next time I'm talking to him, I'll ask what he used.

Reactions: scabpicker

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A friend of mine just dropped in an '80's 350 into his '65. The next time I'm talking to him, I'll ask what he used.
Thank you! I'm certainly curious to know what he used. 1980 and newer, the dipstick was on the passenger side and 1986 and newer, they had a one-piece rear main seal.

I'm working on posting pics of the differences in early and late oil pans...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
The orange pan is a stock 1968 Passenger car small block oil pan with driver's side dipstick. F = Front, R = Rear. The arrow is pointing to where the stamping curves out where the dipstick goes through the block and into the pan. The block has the same curvature in the casting...as does the pan gasket. The larger bold circled area is where the pan is tiered or stepped to clear the crossmember and centerlink. It is essential that these tiers (steps)
be present, otherwise the crossmember and centerlink will hit the oil pan.

Apologies for my lousy graphics...
Orange Wood Musical instrument Line Arthropod

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This photo shows a 1980 and newer small block oil pan. This style of pan is on the 350 motor that I was planning on using. This motor has a passenger side dipstick and no tiers or steps to accommodate clearing the crossmember or centerlink (Bold orange circled area).

Amber Personal protective equipment Font Rectangle Electric blue

1 - 7 of 7 Posts