Impalas.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I’m a newbie so this is the first post, first classic, and tons of questions. I’ve searched all over for the right answer. But first off this car has been lowered, there is not much ground clearance. When I search sites using my car it brings up full length tubes mostly and the shorty’s are for big blocks. It’s very frustrating. Also has power steering, auto trans. Can anyone help? Will full length fit on this lowered car or do I need shorty’s and part numbers would be great. Thanks

·
Registered
26 Posts
I used a set of Hedman. They are labeled as a full length but they seem more the size of mid length. Hard to describe. Pretty sure the part number is 68176. Would have to double check my paperwork from the shop.

·
Super Moderator
13,089 Posts
So besides the ram horn style will the block hugger style work
It will if the foot notes for that header model number states that they will work with your application.

1965-'70 had the steering gear box sitting behind the front axle the same as a Camaro. The header has to clear that. As such you can not use a Chevelle header as the 1968-'72 and all later cars had the steering gear box in front of the front axle out of the way (such as the change between a 1969 to 1970 year break). If you find a header to clear the steering gear box you also need one that accepts a Power Steering pump, and Air Conditioning brackets as well.

In the good old days you would go to your local speed shop and talk to the guy behind the counter. He had paper catalogs of every product he sold and could check those foot notes for you. Call a mail order business and you get some one on the phone who was raising money for charity the day before or sold slushies at the Kwiki mart. You could ask him to check the foot notes but I will wager his computer is going to say it fits and he will ad assuredly not to scratch the paint or ding the tubes if you want a refund if his computer is wrong.

Headers help race cars that don't run mufflers. On the street they are hype and marketing. As has been shown the dyno testing the 2½ inch Ram's horn cast iron manifold flows as much as headers below 4,600 RPM. They don't leak, or rust out and help keep under hood temps down as well.

What you see in car mags (back when they still existed) was put there by the advertisers, not the editorial staff looking out for your interests. The adds paid for the mag by your buying into the hype.

Do headers help on a race car when run open? yes they do above 4,600 RPM they make more power, But even above 4,600 RPM if you have mufflers and tail pipes the effect is halved. Not to mention you need free flowing heads, a solid cam and decent valve train to spin it that high.

Big Dave

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Big Dave,
I'm brand new here but I've been on the planet for decades...more than I'd like to count. Anyhow, what's your opinion on the best fitting/performing set of headers for a 409/425...600 gearbox on a conversion by Borgeson. This is one of the last pieces I have yet to purchase...looking for some advise before I pull the trigger.
THANKS,
JWB4091963

·
Super Moderator
13,089 Posts
I would ask Borgeson since you have to clear their steering gear box. When you change a car by modifying the components the only one who can answer is some one who has the exact combination that you have.

I do know that the majority of off the shelf headers will not fit because you have changed the steering gear box size and location requiring custom headers from Lemons or any other muffler shop out there that makes custom headers. It is the only way to get a custom fit for a custom car.

Big Dave

1 - 7 of 7 Posts