Impalas.net banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Moderators, If this is in the wrong location, I'm sure it is, I am sorry. I am not good with computers. Please move it to where it belongs. I recently obtained my 3rd 1970 Impala. This one is a 4D sedan. Original paint, 30K actual miles. Basically a Plain Jane, gold with black vinyl top. PS, manual brakes, crank up windows, No A/C. Known original options remote (joy stick) drivers side rearview mirror, manual passenger side rear view mirror, original AM radio (I will upgrade it to one of the look a like period correct drop in stereos). 350 Turbo-Jet 250hp 2 BBL, TH350 Trans, 10 bolt rear (I think 256:1 ratio). I am kind of hoping to slightly update it to a car that was NEVER built, a 1970 Impala SS. 1970 is known for the better variable ratio steering boxes. I want to upgrade the suspension like I did to my first 1970. I want to really enjoy the better ride and handling quality. I am basically hoping to duplicate the factory F41 / B07 handling / Police package (maybe better). This car came with the factory rally wheels (I think they are 15X7, I think the offset will be correct if I go to the 15X8 Corvette rally wheels. I can go with the correct height tires with the correct revolutions per mile that are wider (I don't want to lower the car). I don't know what sway bars I want, but I am painfully aware that I may need to change the rear trailing arms when I add the rear sway bar to get the correct fit. I know a lot of aftermarket rear sway bars will bend (collapse) the rear trailering arms (some come with metal spacers that prevent the lower trailering arms from collapsing). I think my 1st 1970 Impala had Moog progressive rate coil springs (I pray they are still available), the constant rate performance springs had a harsh ride the progressive rate ones were amazing. Last replace the original spiral shocks with some decent ones. Then maybe a little DynaMat. Thanks for letting me vent. I will probably also do the HEI upgrade for relatability. The exhaust has a few pin holes, so maybe a set of reasonable quiet duals are in its future. I do have a period correct Winters Foundry (snow flake) LT-1 Aluminum Intake, so to match the duals I would consider a 4BBL to properly feed it with a mild factory 4BBL cam I would probably not use the 350/300 Impala cam, I would probably be interested in the factory 350/350 cam if I do a cam upgrade. The intake might also look nice under the hood with a set of corvette finned valve covers and a factory GM dual snorkel 14" air cleaner with the chrome hat. The Pontiac dual snorkel (what a sin on a Chevy) has larger (huge) snorkel opening's. Maybe a power disc brake set up. and definitely add AC. I am in Eastern Tennessee, anybody out there want to help me with the project?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Moderators, If this is in the wrong location, I'm sure it is, I am sorry. I am not good with computers. Please move it to where it belongs. I recently obtained my 3rd 1970 Impala. This one is a 4D sedan. Original paint, 30K actual miles. Basically a Plain Jane, gold with black vinyl top. PS, manual brakes, crank up windows, No A/C. Known original options remote (joy stick) drivers side rearview mirror, manual passenger side rear view mirror, original AM radio (I will upgrade it to one of the look a like period correct drop in stereos). 350 Turbo-Jet 250hp 2 BBL, TH350 Trans, 10 bolt rear (I think 256:1 ratio). I am kind of hoping to slightly update it to a car that was NEVER built, a 1970 Impala SS. 1970 is known for the better variable ratio steering boxes. I want to upgrade the suspension like I did to my first 1970. I want to really enjoy the better ride and handling quality. I am basically hoping to duplicate the factory F41 / B07 handling / Police package (maybe better). This car came with the factory rally wheels (I think they are 15X7, I think the offset will be correct if I go to the 15X8 Corvette rally wheels. I can go with the correct height tires with the correct revolutions per mile that are wider (I don't want to lower the car). I don't know what sway bars I want, but I am painfully aware that I may need to change the rear trailing arms when I add the rear sway bar to get the correct fit. I know a lot of aftermarket rear sway bars will bend (collapse) the rear trailering arms (some come with metal spacers that prevent the lower trailering arms from collapsing). I think my 1st 1970 Impala had Moog progressive rate coil springs (I pray they are still available), the constant rate performance springs had a harsh ride the progressive rate ones were amazing. Last replace the original spiral shocks with some decent ones. Then maybe a little DynaMat. Thanks for letting me vent. I will probably also do the HEI upgrade for relatability. The exhaust has a few pin holes, so maybe a set of reasonable quiet duals are in its future. I do have a period correct Winters Foundry (snow flake) LT-1 Aluminum Intake, so to match the duals I would consider a 4BBL to properly feed it with a mild factory 4BBL cam I would probably not use the 350/300 Impala cam, I would probably be interested in the factory 350/350 cam if I do a cam upgrade. The intake might also look nice under the hood with a set of corvette finned valve covers and a factory GM dual snorkel 14" air cleaner with the chrome hat. The Pontiac dual snorkel (what a sin on a Chevy) has larger (huge) snorkel opening's. Maybe a power disc brake set up. and definitely add AC. I am in Eastern Tennessee, anybody out there want to help me with the project?
I'd love to help out but the commute would kill me

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Just to add my 2 cents, it sounds like you have an all original, low mileage beauty out there which is rare and is special as it is. Once you start converting it over, what you have would be lost. Of course it is your car to modify as you wish, but my suggestion would be to start with an every day '70, where you would be increasing it's value instead of de-valuing it.

For a little experiment, drive the car around town some or attend a local car show and watch all the comments you will receive.

Reactions: BigDogSS

·
Super Moderator
3,630 Posts
Welcome to the site! That's a great find to have such low mileage!
Sounds like you've at least got a plan of attack to make a few updates, that's great to hear too. I'm in Ohio so I can't help but Eastern TN is definitely an area I'd like to live in!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just to add my 2 cents, it sounds like you have an all original, low mileage beauty out there which is rare and is special as it is. Once you start converting it over, what you have would be lost. Of course it is your car to modify as you wish, but my suggestion would be to start with an every day '70, where you would be increasing it's value instead of de-valuing it.

For a little experiment, drive the car around town some or attend a local car show and watch all the comments you will receive.
I would normally agree with you, however, we are talking about a base 4 door sedan. Even back in the day there were always modifications that were referred to as "day 2" modifications. I am not talking about lowering the car, or putting in canyon carver suspension components that would make the car handle good at the expense of poor ride quality. There are a lot of people cutting up beautiful cars, installing 24" rims and stereo's that make the trunk lid vibrate so it can be herd in the next county. I am talking about positive updates, a cosmetically period correct stereo that will properly fit the dash (without cutting it up will never hurt), Vintage Air will never detract here in 107 degrees in the shade, in the summer. A factory period correct modification that the original owner could have had installed on day 2 of ownership by the car dealership to get installed. I am not installing an intake like Offenhouser, Edelbrock, Weiand. I am not putting in a 502ci motor or a blower through the hood I am talking about a period correct Chevrolet intake, GM air cleaner, a Chevrolet HEI that can all easily be put back to stock.. I am positive that the ONLY real issue is to not ever sell it to a gang banger that wants to destroy a beautiful 52 year old piece of history. I am older and one of my twin girls loves the car and it will be passed on to her. Where I live some of the best and largest car shows in the country are about one to two hours from me (Tri Cities, Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge, Sevierville). Keeping the car reliable and enhancing the ride experience so it is always a pleasure to enjoy is thought number one for me. Many classic cars go through tons of owners just because they are far from a pleasure to drive or ride in. Yes minor brake updates like Power Disc are modifying the car, but at the benefit of safety. This is already an amazing head turner that gets thumbs up everywhere it goes. At shows and Cruise Nights, I have the Original Owners Manual, Protect-O-Plate, Original Chevrolet Sales Brochure, appraisal, etc... I really cant see someone say wow this guy destroyed that car. My book on the car (that stays with the car) has all the information about it and what has been done to it. If I was looking to buy it, my comment would be this was tastefully done. I think if a prospective buyer drove it after it was all done, the nice newer factory type ride would be nothing short if impressive.

·
Registered
1961 Impala 2 Door Sedan
95 Posts
Post up some pics! It's your car, do what you want with it... I like the day 2 style bolt-on mods because the car can easily be returned to stock if you decide to move it along and the new owner wants a period correct. It takes a lot of skill and/or money once you start cutting and welding.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just want to take it to cruise nights and shows mostly. It is probably a clean number 2 car. It is just a plain Jane 4 door base sedan. The only options I can determine so far is AM radio, remote (joy stick) drivers door mirror, passenger door rear view mirror, cloth interior, and Rally wheels. 30K (actual) on the clock, no wear on the brake pedal, no cracks on the dash or steering wheel. It will need a headliner, there is a small tear (got it that way). It will need the minor updates I listed to make it special to me. I guess about the only thing I am not sure of is how quiet I will want it when I do the exhaust, silent like it is now with the single exhaust (with the pin holes) or slight note. I know I do not want it loud.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I know you say you would not touch it, but, I want to maintain it. It has some pin holes in the exhaust so I need to touch it. I just think it would be such a waste to just put in another single exhaust if it needs exhaust work. And with duals, you need to add the 4BBL to do it right so it breathes properly. In my case, it would not be Edelbrock, Weiand, Offenhauser, or Holley on the intake, it will just be the Factory OEM Chevrolet Winters Foundry Aluminum Snowflake LT-1 Intake that the selling dealer could have put on in Day-2 of ownership and a GM air cleaner. I feel that doing it this way it is tasteful.

Many classic cars go through a ton of owners, just my opinion, I think a lot of the reasons for the resales is that the interior is not quiet, it does not handle like the owners late model daily driver and the old AM radios just discourage many people from enjoying using their classic rides and long time ownership. So I did a tasteful OE Chevrolet vintage correct look (similiar) a like stereo, with the Vintage Chevrolet (remake) speaker grills. No Kenwood, Pioneer, Audiovox, or other aftermarket faceplates anywhere. I think the stereo was tastefully done and I enjoy taking it to cruise nights and shows. To be clear, I am not Bastardizing this with 24" rims and a glitter paint job, Gold emblems, Alligator or shake skin seats, slamming it to the ground, or putting in Hydraulics nothing wrong with others customizing their rides, but I won't do it to a 30K actual mile car that looks like it is a new car when it is 52 years old. If it was an original 2 door fastback police package high optioned Caprice with power everything, I would probably be sourcing the original spiral date coded shocks. The last owner and his grandfather had mine for the last 25 years. They maintained it "just OK" so I will need to do simple things like replace the Dayco hoses and the screw hose clamps for repro hoses and date coded Chevrolet Tower hose clamps (eventually).

For a 4-Door sedan I do not think what I am doing with it will detract from its value or desirability.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
As much as I like them original, especially in your case, there is absolutely nothing wrong with dual exhaust, even with a 2-Barrel if you were to keep it. Also pretty cool on your choice of radio.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
There are two different look a like Models, I got it from Ecklers. This one was like $299.00 When I got it, it was a little different than the photo. It has the correct 1970 knobs and the black slide AM/FM bar on the top just like the original 1970 Delco Stereo. The photo showed the analog numbers that rolled up and down like the original OE 1970 AM/FM Delco Stereo. I thought I got a steel, then when it came, I found out that it had a digital display. The one that was pictured I knew went for $699.00. I also know that the one that was pictured is back ordered for the next 9 months (if they ever get it), so I did not say anything I got a great stereo and it looks almost like the original 1970 Chevrolet one. I just got it installed, Yeeaaaa!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts