Impalas.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve got a 1970 Impala convertible. The idiot doing my interior lost the front seat bottom frame. It is split back bench seat. Does anyone know what year/models interchange and if it has to be a convertible to fit? Does anyone have or know where I can get my hands on a seat frame?

·
Super Moderator
1,519 Posts
Any 65-70 GM full size should work. Not convertible-specific, it just needs to be from a 2 door, 4 door and wagon seats don't fold.

·
Super Moderator
13,085 Posts
I wouldn't think a four door would have a folding seat either as the reason to fold is to gain access to the rear seat from the front of the car. If there were anything specific to the convertible seat I would imagine it is the chrome plated seat trim as you can see the car seat with the top down and GM wanted to brighten up the appeerance on convertibles. But that said I am not positive about either thing I said as it is based upon GM philosophy more than restoration expertise.

Big Dave

·
Registered
51 Posts
my Hollander book only covers from 65-66 but it shows the bench and bucket seats to be different for every 2dr or 4dr model, but it does not mention convertible. however it covers all years for the seat tracks and there is some overlap there but apparently only from 67-70

you can send me a PM with your phone# or I'll try to post it here but it'll be pictures cuz I'm not typing all that in!

·
Registered
970 Posts
Strange that your Hollander only shows '65 and '66 for Seats, yet shows other info up to '70.

What Edition do you have?

Also note that the book is saying that '65 Impala 2-Dr HT and the '66 are different, although it's possible that is only the upholstery and/or seat trim.

·
Registered
970 Posts
As mentioned on the other site, I have a '70 Impala 2-Dr HT Seat available, which should be the same as a Convertible.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Strange that your Hollander only shows '65 and '66 for Seats, yet shows other info up to '70.

What Edition do you have?

Also note that the book is saying that '65 Impala 2-Dr HT and the '66 are different, although it's possible that is only the upholstery and/or seat trim.
39th edition, yeah I thought that was kind of weird myself
I suspect the difference is in the upholstery and seat trim as the actual measurements are different by 1/8" inch, with Biscayne and BelAir sharing versus the Impala being 1/8" larger. you'll note there are also power benches and 'Strato' seats. maybe a different seat manufacturer/supplier back then?

·
Registered
970 Posts
A Strato Seat is a special seat available that GM offered in the later years starting in what looks like '67.

The 39th is a good edition. I have a 27th, 32nd, 38th and a 47th. They are great books, I just wish they went into more detail covering more parts.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Here is a YouTube video showing a '67 Strato Seat.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts