Impalas.net banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A weird one. I inherited from my mother her 2001 Chevy Impala. She didn't drive it much, so it only has 32,000 miles.

Now I go to replace the water pump, which is impersonating a shower head. The parts guy asks 3.4 or 3.8? Gulp. The intake manifold has cast into it in high and tall letters "3100 EFI V6" I buy the "3.4" water pump and hooray it fits.

Now the coolant recovery jug cap is cracked. I go back to O'Reilly and they insist the only engines are the 3.4 and 3.8 and they use a bog-standard radiator cap, not the weird screw-on double o-ring one that I need.

So what's going on? Mom bought the car new from the Chevy dealer. She probably would have mentioned if she had a smaller engine dropped in. What could have happened?

·
Super Moderator
1,607 Posts
Open the trunk, look at the SPID sticker. Find the RPO for the engine (L something) and look it up.

Then, head over to impalaforums.net for help with your FWD Impala, this place deals with classic 1960s Impalas.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Open the trunk, look at the SPID sticker. Find the RPO for the engine (L something) and look it up.

Then, head over to impalaforums.net for help with your FWD Impala, this place deals with classic 1960s Impalas.
Well, I must be getting senile. The vehicle is not an Impala, it's a MALIBU!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts