Impalas.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to tackle changing of the rear main seal on removed engine from my 64 Bel Air . From google I have heard everything from using a Chinese finger trap to completely removing crank.
Any good advise in between these ?
I obviously do not want to make it more difficult than needed but do not want to have to do it twice either .
Anything else I should also do ?
THANKS !!!
Dan

·
Registered
433 Posts
Acquire copies of the 1961 Shop Manual, and the 1964 Supplement (to the '61) Shop Manual.

Info is more reliable than google.

Pete

·
Super Moderator
1,588 Posts
I'll ask on the truck forum for you, they will know exactly what to do. I also have a 250 on the stand at work if you need any photos.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jay , I figured out my confusion .... the 1961 service manual is the “” bible”” so I was referring to this about the removal of the seal .. it was not until I actually pulled the rear cap that things were different. I then looked at my 1964 supplement that I realized that in 62 -63 they went from a 235 to a 230 and a different seal .,. MUCH. Easier tor replace
Thanks !!!! Dan

·
Super Moderator
1,588 Posts
Exact same for the trucks, the update is 64-66 for them. The 230/250 was a much more modern engine than the good old 235.

When I checked over on the truck forum, everyone just drops the pan, does the main seal with the pan gasket kit.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Exact same for the trucks, the update is 64-66 for them. The 230/250 was a much more modern engine than the good old 235.

When I checked over on the truck forum, everyone just drops the pan, does the main seal with the pan gasket kit.
Jay ,

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jay , the one thing I DID find is that seal is almost impossible to find .. oh it can be found listed, AND you can put it in a cart, but getting it is a different story .
NAPA.... not even in their system , ditto with all the old time parts stores in my area . A friend did a nationwide search of all the Chevrolet dealers .. found 3 ... I bought all of them for my project .
Dan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts