Impalas.net banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've developed a coolant leak externally from intake gasket..I haven't pulled it apart yet but wondering if it has block off plates to prevent heat under carb, would it get too hot if I removed the plates? I was having trouble getting divorce choke to work and I think its maybe because the passage is blocked, but I don't want to put heat under carb if it may be a problem

·
Registered
1961 Impala 2 Door Sedan
74 Posts
I can't answer your later questions but I can provide the following - I was having coolant leaks pooling up on the IM and where the IM meets the heads and the gasket looked wet. I assumed it was leaking from the thermostat housing. I did a cooling system overhaul this spring with new water pump and new thermostat/housing. The leak continued. Decided I'd go ahead and pull the IM bolts one at a time and put sealant on the threads (since I never did when installing it, didn't know any better). Almost every bolt was a little loose, 1/2 to a full turn to get back up to torque spec. Sealed the threads, torqued each one as I put them back in and not a drop leaking from my cooling system now.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can't answer your later questions but I can provide the following - I was having coolant leaks pooling up on the IM and where the IM meets the heads and the gasket looked wet. I assumed it was leaking from the thermostat housing. I did a cooling system overhaul this spring with new water pump and new thermostat/housing. The leak continued. Decided I'd go ahead and pull the IM bolts one at a time and put sealant on the threads (since I never did when installing it, didn't know any better). Almost every bolt was a little loose, 1/2 to a full turn to get back up to torque spec. Sealed the threads, torqued each one as I put them back in and not a drop leaking from my cooling system now.
I checked the torque of bolts and were ok. I pulled one bolt and sealed it but I think it would have caused a oil leak if it came up from the bolt. I can see a small split at the gasket and I believe I have a gasket failure. Thanks for you info, I appreciate it. PS I think the tightening of your bolts took care of your problem. Glad yours was that easy.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I've developed a coolant leak externally from intake gasket..I haven't pulled it apart yet but wondering if it has block off plates to prevent heat under carb, would it get too hot if I removed the plates? I was having trouble getting divorce choke to work and I think its maybe because the passage is blocked, but I don't want to put heat under carb if it may be a problem
'... would it get too hot if I removed the plates?': No. The heat from the exhaust (via the heat riser valve) doe not impact coolant temps. It may take a little longer 'warm up'.

Here's some general info:

Does not divorced choke on a QJet require the heat from the exhaust to function? I believe so. The choke problem may (emphasis on 'may') be related to a heat riser valve problem.

Just info.

Pete

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
'... would it get too hot if I removed the plates?': No. The heat from the exhaust (via the heat riser valve) doe not impact coolant temps. It may take a little longer 'warm up'.

Here's some general info:

Does not divorced choke on a QJet require the heat from the exhaust to function? I believe so. The choke problem may (emphasis on 'may') be related to a heat riser valve problem.

Just info.

Pete
Thanks Pete for the info.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
But wondering if block off plates removed would it be too hot for the the gas in the carburetor? If not it should allow my divorce choke to work correctly

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
If you can't decide... there is a middle ground ;D Some intake manifold gasket makers supply plates that partially block the passage. They have a circular hole about 1/2 inch in diameter in the plate.
I opted for that choice in my motor. Can't say if it is any better or worse, but icing it not much of a problem in Southern California (warm and usually dry air).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you can't decide... there is a middle ground ;D Some intake manifold gasket makers supply plates that partially block the passage. They have a circular hole about 1/2 inch in diameter in the plate.
I opted for that choice in my motor. Can't say if it is any better or worse, but icing it not much of a problem in Southern California (warm and usually dry air).
Thanks, that is a great idea

1 - 8 of 8 Posts