Impalas.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if many '67 impalas came with a 327+TH400. I thought that most of the turbo 400's would have been matched to the big blocks but I may be wrong. Any ideas?

·
Registered
664 Posts
I would guess that the majority of the 327 auto's came with the powerglide but there are no numbers to prove it. There are many examples of the 327 with the TH400. I have one with the 12 bolt rear end.
Warren could give you the numbers from his data base but of course this is only a small sample.

·
Super Moderator
13,132 Posts
The PowerGlide couldn't handle a motor rated over 300 horsepower generally (I have since learned in 1965-'66 it was used as the automaic option behind the 325 horse 396 motor which kills that theory). Generally speaking if you wanted a 300 horse or more powerfull motor with an automatic you got the TH400 up until the TH350 came out in 1969. But as staed there are exceptions to every rule.

Big Dave

·
Super Moderator
13,132 Posts
Just took my '68 in to a new mechanic today for some work. He immediately identified that my 327 is mated to a TH400, which I didn't know. Always assumed it was a TH350. He told me that it was offered as an option in '68.
The TH350 was not introduced until the 1969 production year. Generally by 1968 people wanted more gears than the PowerGlide offered, and Chevy responded by offering them the OPTION of ordering a TH400 with a 327. It was only standard equipment if you had a high horse motor.

Big Dave

·
Registered
72 Posts
Big Dave, is it true that GM did not keep production numbers on specific engine sizes during the '60's? All I have ever been able to find is L6 and V8 production numbers.

·
Super Moderator
13,132 Posts
Big Dave, is it true that GM did not keep production numbers on specific engine sizes during the '60's? All I have ever been able to find is L6 and V8 production numbers.
That is correct. They noted how many high performance big blocks they made in total but not which cars received them. Same for the 360 to 370 horsepower 327 used in the Corvette and the Chevy II. They noted how many were made over all, but not what cars received them (there are a boat load of Chevelle owners with the L-79 motor under the hood and no way to prove it was originally put there by the factory).

Chevrolet made roughly 3,500,000 cars a year (over 500 a day). So Chevy (don't forget Chevy was only one division of GM's full five car line) didn't keep those records any longer than the seven years required by the IRS for tax reasons. Also back then everything was written on a piece of paper that had to filed and stored and maintained: that cost a lot of money.

Big Dave

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
97,324 327’s came with a TH400, out of 321,329 automatics, so all the remainder were powerglides.

Paul

I was just wondering if many '67 impalas came with a 327+TH400. I thought that most of the turbo 400's would have been matched to the big blocks but I may be wrong. Any ideas?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts