Impalas.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone, I recently purchased another 65 SS with a SBC 350, 2004r trans, and a 12 bolt rear end. I noticed it ran very very very rich and started having starter issues after a couple of weeks. I did some research on the numbers (3970010) on it and it turns out it's a 1972 350 4 bolt main with 882 heads with a mild cam and double roller timing chain. I pulled the engine to do some upgrades like intake, carb,distributor, clean up and paint on it and also swap the wrong flywheel and starter that was in it. I also did some research on the 882 heads and read that they are basically junk! LOL 馃槅 I would greatly appreciate if you can recommend what heads to swap to and also what carb,intake and distributor. I'm not looking for a ton of power I just want to cruise it and have that extra power when needed 350-375 horse. Thank You!!!

Super Moderator
There are two versions of the '882 head the earlier light head and the heavier later head that replaced it because the light head was prone to cracking between the intake and exhaust valve in cylinders 3 and 5 and 4 and 6 were the heat builds up due to the adjacent exhaust ports.

Here is what hot Rod magazine had to say about all (20 different) SBC heads when tested.

Big Dave

Registered
I would snag up a air of those Vortec heads that were on pickups and such in the late 90's. They have a 64cc combustion chamber like the old 60's 461 heads however, they flow way way better.
The only thing is if you get a pair of those, you need a different intake manifold the pattern is different.
The way to tell if they are the Vortec heads is there is a sawtooth casting mark on the front of the head.
I put a set of those on a 350 I built and man, it ran like a raped ape!!!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts