Impalas.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi..... I have an original 2 speed PG car, on the column. I installed a 700R4 tranny in it.

I'm looking for a shift indicator that will work on the column that will show P-R-N-D-3-2-1 for the gears instead of the P-R-N-D-L....

Does any company make this part??

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Dave..... No I didn't Google it. Thought it would be to "long" a question for Google.

Do you have an Idea?

THX

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Dave... I Googled it..... Lots of universal, stick it on the column stuff (IDIDIT). I was hoping for a replacement that would bolt up to the Chev indicator housing.....

TIA

·
Super Moderator
13,043 Posts
Well usually the PRNDL includes an "O" for over drive; but just restaing your question as prnd21 indicator in Google I come up with only 23,780 responces:

https://www.google.com/search?q=prnd21+indicator&oq=PRNOD21&aqs=chrome.2.69i57j0l2.34238j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

You will have to refine your search since neither Google nor I know what year make and model car you have (I am assuming it is a full size Chevy, but you could be a closet FORD guy).

Every year had a different indicator as the dash is one of the things the stylist felt they had to change every year to make you buy a new car. So every request you will have to include the year at least for us to answer any question.

Big Dave

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Dave.... We've talked before. I have 66 Biscayne... Was hoping to find an indicator to go inside the shift indicator stock 2 speed housing on the column, that would indicate the settings for a 700R4...

Didn't think I would be the only guy to do this mod....

·
Super Moderator
13,043 Posts
Your not the first to upgrade their tranny. But there are several thousand members on this board and I am far too old to remember what everyone is driving.

As I said the stylist changed the dash every chance they got AND .... wait for it:

There is not as much demand in the aftermarket to make a specific advertised product to meet your needs with a custom made indicator for your car. So you either adapt another year or model dash indicator to your needs, or use a universal clear label to put on your lens after cleaning off the silk screened PRNDL that is there now. Even if you can not find a label you can probably have one made at an office supply store with a Brothers one inch wide tape label maker.

I bought one years ago and discovered hundreds of uses for it. Will admit was 100% easier using it with my old Macintosh computer as I could simply draw a line and place text on the line and then curve the line into an arc to my heart's content.

In addition to the decals I have seen plastic lens indicators for overdrive transmission swaps sold for Full Size Chevys on Classic Industries web site in the past.

Big Dave

·
Registered
405 Posts
Try Shiftworks, they have kits as you not only need the lens, but you will also need the detent piece that goes into the column. I never looked at their stuff for column shift, but they had everything for floor shift conversions on my 63.

·
Super Moderator
13,043 Posts
You don't "NEED" the shifter comb if you never down shift your transmission manually (few column shifters are used that way). It will automatically find all of the gears and shift just like your PowerGlide did without the shifter selector comb to manually find the gears. But without that comb you will not have access to the lower gears except OD and third gear (drive).

On police cars they use a TH350 shifter on a four speed 200R4 transmission to prevent the donut eater from down shifting into first gear while driving to prevent over reving the engine. Selection of first gear is thus locked out from manual shifting, but the tranny starts out from low after coming to a stop every time automatically.

Big Dave

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Reactions: BA.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Bowtie Overdrive in California has a Kugel Shift Arm adapter kit that will give you the feel of the detents. It attaches to the base of the steering column. They make an excellent transmission if you or anyone else wants a quality product. Their support & tech staff are top notch.

Bowtie Overdrives - View Item

·
Registered
5 Posts
Dave, do you always have to be a dick to everyone that asks a question that doesn't meet your knowledge standards? Just shut your mouth and move on for a change if you can't offer real assistance. Not sure if you know this, but every post on this forum isn't a direct question for you. Surprised you didn't come back with your standard "read the service manual" answer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts