Impalas.net banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
too many to list
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As promised in my introduction thread I will post the photos of the 59 Impala restoration. The car came in as a running and driving vehicle with paint issues and a few electrical issues.
Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Land vehicle

After removing all the trim and glass it was time to remove the 5 layers of paint at issue.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Car Vehicle Automotive parking light Hood Automotive lighting

Once it was stripped it was epoxied, imperfections repaired, primed, and blocked several times using Valspar CPSHS hi build red primer.

Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Car Motor vehicle

Tire Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

After all the blocking was completed it was disassembled and mask for paint. Using GM code 81 Flame Red and 3 coats of clear.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood

Once everything was painted including the dash and misc. parts it was carefully re assembled.
Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle Wheel

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Steering part Steering wheel

Vehicle Hood Car Automotive lighting Trunk

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Great work and a beautiful car.

I also saw your posts and pictures on the other forum.

This is the better site as we are more about the older Impala cars.

Show some engine shots when you can.

·
Registered
too many to list
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great work and a beautiful car.

I also saw your posts and pictures on the other forum.

This is the better site as we are more about the older Impala cars.

Show some engine shots when you can.
I didn't get much of anything for the engine as we didn't do anything with it (it is a 348). I did clean up the engine bay (firewall, fenderwells, core support and misc parts so that all looks new again.

·
Registered
1961 Impala 2 Door Sedan
113 Posts
Just having a 348 itself is something special.

I bet it looks just fine.
I have one waiting for a rebuild to go in my '61... looking more for daily driver torque and sound more than horsepower and quarter mile times. I'll throw my hamfist at a small block but I'll probably have this professionally built by someone who knows W motors pretty well.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I have one waiting for a rebuild to go in my '61... looking more for daily driver torque and sound more than horsepower and quarter mile times. I'll throw my hamfist at a small block but I'll probably have this professionally built by someone who knows W motors pretty well.
My first car was a 348. In a '58 Nomad. For both you and FUZZY, for any specific 348 help needed, stop over at 348-409.com:

Reactions: cintocrunch

·
Registered
10 Posts
As promised in my introduction thread I will post the photos of the 59 Impala restoration. The car came in as a running and driving vehicle with paint issues and a few electrical issues.
View attachment 30740

After removing all the trim and glass it was time to remove the 5 layers of paint at issue.
View attachment 30742
View attachment 30741

Once it was stripped it was epoxied, imperfections repaired, primed, and blocked several times using Valspar CPSHS hi build red primer.

View attachment 30744
View attachment 30745
After all the blocking was completed it was disassembled and mask for paint. Using GM code 81 Flame Red and 3 coats of clear.
View attachment 30743

Once everything was painted including the dash and misc. parts it was carefully re assembled.
View attachment 30748
View attachment 30749
View attachment 30747
View attachment 30746
View attachment 30740

View attachment 30742
View attachment 30741

View attachment 30744
View attachment 30745
View attachment 30743

View attachment 30748
View attachment 30749
View attachment 30747
View attachment 30746
Hi Fuzzy, I'm new to the Forum and I was really hunting around for a fellow 59 owner to chat about things. Specifically the aluminum vertical trim that goes up the front seatback side. The top trim screw goes directily to the seatback frame, but can you explain how the clips are arranged near the bottom of the vertical trim piece? I have tried to figure out how they are installed on the seat frame and drawing a complete blank. I have 3 clip type pieces that somehow attach that trim at the bottom of the seat. Any help or a photo of yours with your trim taken off? I owe you!

Thanks for your time- Jim

·
Registered
too many to list
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi Fuzzy, I'm new to the Forum and I was really hunting around for a fellow 59 owner to chat about things. Specifically the aluminum vertical trim that goes up the front seatback side. The top trim screw goes directily to the seatback frame, but can you explain how the clips are arranged near the bottom of the vertical trim piece? I have tried to figure out how they are installed on the seat frame and drawing a complete blank. I have 3 clip type pieces that somehow attach that trim at the bottom of the seat. Any help or a photo of yours with your trim taken off? I owe you!

Thanks for your time- Jim
Jim. Sorry for the delay in responding, I've been busy building a 74 Bronco and 57 t-bird these past few months and haven't had time to surf the forums.

This 59 wasn't my car as I was restoring it for a friend. I did not have to remove the seats or trim from them so at present I'm not certain what screws or clips hold the trim in place

1 - 15 of 15 Posts