Impalas.net banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
I am pricing out an air ride kit and labor in the Bay Area for my bubble top. For a good system with full suspension I'm getting quotes around 12 K with labor.

I have never done this to a car so I'm seeing kits that are around 2k to 3K (without labor) .Although I was told I would need specific arms struts and shocks in the kit for it to all work together so nothing has to be modified much.

Any advice would help. Thanks

·
Registered
1961 Impala 2 Door Sedan
14 Posts
I'm not an expert but from looking at the pictures and information on their websites, it looks like the kits have pretty much all of the materials needed. The installation shouldn't be that hateful unless your '61 is really rusty underneath (mine isn't AND it had an oil leak before I got it that coated much of the underbody in a rust protecting film). I imagine thoughtfully installing the air lines, wiring, tank, compressor, etc. will take as long or longer than the suspension itself. Then dialing it in could take some time. I see how this can take significant hours, but I'd expect the total to be half what you were quoted.

This is one of the challenges with classics, everyone sees the TV shows and think everything should be really expensive to work on, what happened to the days when these were affordable and simple because they don't have the computers and cheap, complicated parts on modern vehicles?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm not an expert but from looking at the pictures and information on their websites, it looks like the kits have pretty much all of the materials needed. The installation shouldn't be that hateful unless your '61 is really rusty underneath (mine isn't AND it had an oil leak before I got it that coated much of the underbody in a rust protecting film). I imagine thoughtfully installing the air lines, wiring, tank, compressor, etc. will take as long or longer than the suspension itself. Then dialing it in could take some time. I see how this can take significant hours, but I'd expect the total to be half what you were quoted.

This is one of the challenges with classics, everyone sees the TV shows and think everything should be really expensive to work on, what happened to the days when these were affordable and simple because they don't have the computers and cheap, complicated parts on modern vehicles?
I agree. I believe that it should be around half that correct. 6-8k in my opinion from a good shop.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey everyone,
I am pricing out an air ride kit and labor in the Bay Area for my bubble top. For a good system with full suspension I'm getting quotes around 12 K with labor.

I have never done this to a car so I'm seeing kits that are around 2k to 3K (without labor) .Although I was told I would need specific arms struts and shocks in the kit for it to all work together so nothing has to be modified much.

Any advice would help. Thanks
12k is highway robbery, the entire X-frame setup is bolt on with a couple holes that need to be drilled.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts