Impalas.net banner

41 - 60 of 938 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
theres no turning back now....

back side of the old rocker

had to remove all the old metal so the new rocker can slide into place.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·

4 door rockers that will be modified for 2 door. It will be easy. marked and measured to 39" back is where they will be welded in.

where the rear section will be grafted.

61 surgery

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I got everything sized up. I will have a little bit more grinding and shaving to get the rockers to fit perfect. Thats where the fun will begin. The most time consuming part is getting the old stuff cut out. After that its all about measuring and fitment.

Right now they rocker is just sitting there.

heres the difference on the 4 door rockers. I will graft in a section from the vert rockers to make them legit. ;)

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
back to reality..

The method was to drill out the factory spot welds then go back and plug weld every hole to make it look as stock as possible. I hav to crank the heat up pretty good on this thick metal. Good part about that is I can weld most of it from both sides making sure everything is stable and secure.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
The back section is the tricky part. To get to the inner rocker I have to cut out about a 4" window in order to weld the inner so it was just as strong as before, I will then finish it up with a spare section of rocker to fill in the window I cut out.

Since the rocker was open, I used POR 15 to treat the inside of the rockers by pouring it in and blowing it with the air chuck to soak into the crevices.

This will be the patch I graft in to seal everything up.

Pretty soon I wont have much to haul off.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Heres my motor. 6.0 LS-1 out of an '05 Escalade. Serious horsepower with the cam added. Traded a 59 to my buddy john that owns the agave green oval project for the engine, trans and a ford 9" disk brake rear end.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
So I came home and this little guy was eating my shop cats food on the trunk of the Impala. If it aint a skunk its a damn oppossum at my house.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
This area of the backside of the rocker was where I joined the old rocker with the new one, plus it was wasted so I cut out the rusted area and split it from the factory seams. Heres the patch piece I made from a spare rocker section.
The good part about this was that it gave me a window to go in and join the inner rocker and weld an extra support brace inside the rocker so that it wont flex. Basically this was just a cap ovet the area I had to work.

This is after I welded it in. Turned out pretty good.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Here is the section of the rocker that was raised up for the 4 door post that was there. I cut it out and now I will replace it with the flat section of my old OG 2 door rocker to make it all 2 door again.

so I used a piece of the original rocker to convert it from 4 door to 2 door.

while it was open I used POR 15 to rust proof the inside.

Heres the patch piece after I cut it down to fit.

Heres the patch piece after I cut it down to fit.

Then proceeded to start welding it in.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
after a little grinding it was in solid.

shot from up top

Then all that was left was patiching the hole in the outer skin. Sorry for the flash ****ing up the picture.

actually you can see the spot that I will replace better in this pic.

Overall these rockers are a ****in bitch. Im just glad I got thru this one. Now I just have to repeat the same on the otherside.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
heres from the inside. Im no proffessional welder so dont rag on my welds too bad , good thing about it is I can clean up everything real nice.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
drivers rocker started today, no cool pics to show really.

4 door to the rescue one mo gin.

here it is ready to live life as a 2 door rocker from now on.

out with the old.

Before I can put it in, I have to spend a few hours clearing out the old rocker. This one I have to do a little different because the back side was pretty rusted out from front to rear.

heres a pic with no flash so you can see how bad it is back in the rear corner.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
heres a shot of the back of the rocker after I cut out the rusted back section.

without the flash..

preparing for the rocker to go in..

its almost that time..

heres after a little quick test fit. I still have to grind some more to make it fit perfect before I clamp it in and start welding. I called it quits because I ran out of thin cut off wheels. I'll post more pics after tomorrow.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
here I'll post some more why not.

replaced the inner rear section of drivers side the rocker first.

this was the new piece I used and cut down to fit.

first some POR 15

installed.

note, I weld an inner brace from 1x3 thick square tubing to keep the rockers from flexing once they are all back together. The convertibles have an inner piece inside them that cant be duplicated, (atleast I cant) so this is a bit stout but it works bad ***.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
next I had to convert these bact to 2 door rockers. I did it while the rocker was of the car this time. It was easier.

the section I will weld in is off the original rockers.

Heres the finished product about to get welded in.

the front welded in

rear not welded, I had to cut them open to weld the support brace I added.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
drill out the factory spot welds and pop that rocker right open.

that way I could get to the new inner brace I welded in.

almost done with this side.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Heres the drivers door. Its actually a 62 door but basically the same once I weld up the trim holes.

inners finished

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
The door lines up good with the rocker.

also finished that hole on the passenger side rocker yesterday.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 · (Edited)
started to fit the new floor pans.

But not happy at all how they fit where they meet the firewall floor. Theres a huge gap that I will have to modify.

41 - 60 of 938 Posts