I got everything sized up. I will have a little bit more grinding and shaving to get the rockers to fit perfect. Thats where the fun will begin. The most time consuming part is getting the old stuff cut out. After that its all about measuring and fitment.
Right now they rocker is just sitting there.
heres the difference on the 4 door rockers. I will graft in a section from the vert rockers to make them legit.
The method was to drill out the factory spot welds then go back and plug weld every hole to make it look as stock as possible. I hav to crank the heat up pretty good on this thick metal. Good part about that is I can weld most of it from both sides making sure everything is stable and secure.
The back section is the tricky part. To get to the inner rocker I have to cut out about a 4" window in order to weld the inner so it was just as strong as before, I will then finish it up with a spare section of rocker to fill in the window I cut out.
Since the rocker was open, I used POR 15 to treat the inside of the rockers by pouring it in and blowing it with the air chuck to soak into the crevices.
This will be the patch I graft in to seal everything up.
Heres my motor. 6.0 LS-1 out of an '05 Escalade. Serious horsepower with the cam added. Traded a 59 to my buddy john that owns the agave green oval project for the engine, trans and a ford 9" disk brake rear end.
This area of the backside of the rocker was where I joined the old rocker with the new one, plus it was wasted so I cut out the rusted area and split it from the factory seams. Heres the patch piece I made from a spare rocker section.
The good part about this was that it gave me a window to go in and join the inner rocker and weld an extra support brace inside the rocker so that it wont flex. Basically this was just a cap ovet the area I had to work.
This is after I welded it in. Turned out pretty good.
Here is the section of the rocker that was raised up for the 4 door post that was there. I cut it out and now I will replace it with the flat section of my old OG 2 door rocker to make it all 2 door again.
so I used a piece of the original rocker to convert it from 4 door to 2 door.
while it was open I used POR 15 to rust proof the inside.
heres a shot of the back of the rocker after I cut out the rusted back section.
without the flash..
preparing for the rocker to go in..
its almost that time..
heres after a little quick test fit. I still have to grind some more to make it fit perfect before I clamp it in and start welding. I called it quits because I ran out of thin cut off wheels. I'll post more pics after tomorrow.
replaced the inner rear section of drivers side the rocker first.
this was the new piece I used and cut down to fit.
first some POR 15
note, I weld an inner brace from 1x3 thick square tubing to keep the rockers from flexing once they are all back together. The convertibles have an inner piece inside them that cant be duplicated, (atleast I cant) so this is a bit stout but it works bad ***.