Impalas.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another new forum...Hopefully somebody with more knowledge than me can help me out. I have a 62 Impala SS that I purchased almost 2 years ago. Have replaced many parts and did some upgrades. The car now has a 2" dropped spindle kit on the front, ididit steering column, dakota digital dash etc, etc. The issue that I'm having is the yoke on the driveshaft between the tranny and the carrier bearing support is rubbing on the underbody during acceleration and going over uneven surfaces. Searched on multiple forums, youtube, and there are many theorys including angle of driveshaft, tranny needs skimmed, carrier bearing is not heavy duty Would appreciate any insight on this issue.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Have you checked your motor mounts? Long ago, I had a bad one and under acceleration, the motor would lift on one side allowing the yoke to rub like you describe. Made a unpleasant sound. At rest, it can be hard to see if the mount is bad, you you might have to try gently jacking one side of the motor up to see if the motor mount has separated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They were replaced when the engine was rebuilt but I can always check as I had my mechanic install the engine for me.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
The issue that I'm having is the yoke on the driveshaft between the tranny and the carrier bearing support is rubbing on the underbody during acceleration and going over uneven surfaces.
Are you referring to the Yoke right behind the Trans?

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
yes thats the one
There is 2 positions to mount the Transmission Cross-member. An Upper and a Lower. If it's on the Upper, change it to the Lower position.

If you do change it though, make sure your fan doesn't hit the top of the fan shroud.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Can it be sagging body mounts? I know chevelles can have weird issues when the body mounts are busted. I'm assuming the same can be said about the impalas. Lol

·
Super Moderator
3,473 Posts
My first thought was the drivers motor mount also. I've broken new ones so definitely check yours. Easy to validate.

I'm guessing you have witness marks on the tunnel or a shiney area around the yoke?

Had to ask, as I had a mystery driveshaft thunk like you describe and mine was a bad pinion angle caused by broken weld on axle tube housing.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts