Impalas.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone I will soon be in the process of lowering my 62 impala with drum brakes and wanted to know of the options available to me! I am on a budget so my first question is can I just install lowering springs without the addition of lowering spindles? Ive heard of steering geometry being lost without them but how much? If I have to add them where can I get a good deal on some? Any help is always appreciated!:confused:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,916 Posts
Check out some of our sponsors on this site.

·
Premium Member
13,142 Posts
Yes you can use lowering springs without using lowering spindles. Actually you generally use one or the other unless you want a real low rider from the barrio.

Big Dave

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So it will not affect my steering geometry if only lowering springs are installed? If so it will be a big relief to me due to the fact that I had my whole front suspension powder coated! Thanks a lot Big Dave.....:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
13,142 Posts
Big Dave-

Are you saying that one should not install a set of 2" lowering springs and a set of 2" lowering spindles? for a total drop of 4"
I think a four inch drop is far too extreme. But that is my opinion. If sparks off the frame dragging and little flags of Central American countries hanging from the rear view mirror is your thing then go for it.

The suspension only has about six to eight inches of total travel from bump stop to bump stop built into the suspension (about 6-1/2 inches active) so taking four inches out of that travel will adversely affect ride and handling. The 1958-'64 cars were alll about ride quality. A "Jet Smooth Ride" was Chevrolet's moto (even though most of the public had never ridden in a jet before which flew above all existing weather back in the sixties).The frame was designed to flex with bumps and follow the road bed rather than offer a stiff structural support upon which you can hang suspension parts to control body lean and nuetralize understear. It was an entirely a different mind set designed to apease returning WWII vets who had slogged through Europe in the back of a 4x4 jeep or a 6x6 military truck if they had not had to walk every step of the way.

Big Dave

·
Registered
101 Posts
This is my '62 with the "extreme" drop of 2" spindles with 2" lowering springs in the front and 3" lowering springs in the rear.

·
Registered
65 Posts
This is my '62 with the "extreme" drop of 2" spindles with 2" lowering springs in the front and 3" lowering springs in the rear.

How is the ride do you bottom out the front? I like the ride height on your 62 I was going for something close to that with 2" lowered springs and 2" spindles and 2" lowering springs in the rear.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I like how your car sits with those wheels! I am actually going to install 13x7 wire wheels with 155-80-13 rubber and just the wheel and tire combo alone will lower the car significantly but my problem will be closing the gap at the fender to wheel! How is the comfort level at the steering wheel and overall ride quality?

·
Registered
403 Posts
You can lower without drop spindles you will have to get a alignment. Any time you lower your car you will have to get a alignment. Your camber will go negative depending on how low you go.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I used my stock springs after rebuilding everything, cut one round off with a die grinder and the ole sled rides good and sits good. I was afraid the lowering springs would be too stiff, keep it rollin and real

·
Registered
33 Posts

What brand of lowering springs did you go with? Looks great and I'm looking for lowering springs for my 64.

·
Registered
224 Posts
My '62 Bel air is lowered 3" by cutting coils, and it rides great. Dave mentioned that lowering the car 4" reduces the travel by 4", but this isn't true. If you lower the car with spindles, it doesn't reduce the suspension travel at all (unless your tire starts to contact the inner fender). If you lower it with springs by 2", then you do reduce your suspension travel.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I put 2" lower HD springs in the front of my 62, but there was a small dip in the road near my house and when I went through the dip at 50mph, there was a terrible crunch sound from the front end, so I went straight home and put the original standard height springs back in. It never bottomed out with standard height springs, but I was testing it hard by going through the dip so fast. I did like the old school rake (see photo) with the lower front end, but I do 3000 miles per year and whatever was the issue with the lowered springs was not compatible with lots of 70mph highway driving. I also tow a 15' vintage camper trailer with my Impala so I didn't need front end handling issues.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts