Impalas.net banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the site. I have a 63 2 Door Hardtop Impala.

I have several questions, but I'll start with this one. Do you trim these A-Arm seals or just let them hang the way they are?

Also, I have a Saginaw 3-speed with OD on my 63. Does anyone know the location of the OD relay?

DN

Attachments

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Not sure about the seals, but what OD do you have? Is it a 4-Bolt or the newer 7-Bolt Side Cover?

·
Registered
456 Posts
Those are more 'dust covers'. They are not meant to 'seal'. There has to be room for the suspension to 'travel'.

I HIGHLY recommend acquiring the 1963 Assembly Manual, the 1963 Shop Manual Supplement, and the 1961 Shop Manual (the manual the '63 'supplements'). They are an invaluable source of accurate information.

I never owned a 3 speed w/OD; just 'regular' 3 and 4 speeds.

Pete

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Those are more 'dust covers'. They are not meant to 'seal'. There has to be room for the suspension to 'travel'.

I HIGHLY recommend acquiring the 1963 Assembly Manual, the 1963 Shop Manual Supplement, and the 1961 Shop Manual (the manual the '63 'supplements'). They are an invaluable source of accurate information.

I never owned a 3 speed w/OD; just 'regular' 3 and 4 speeds.

Pete

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have the 63 Assembly Manual. It's not the most clear to figure out. We're gaining, but want to put the components where they are supposed to go, and not just whenever.
Thanks for the info.

DN

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
It's the 4-bolt. The 3 speed is a column shift. The OD cable is right below the steering column.
Good to see that you have the original type. Out of co-incidence, I just picked up a 7-Bolt OD unit for my '72 C-10 Pick-up.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Assembly Manual Section M10 sheets 1-2 may have the info you seek. I quickly eyeballed it, so it may not.

The 61 Shop Manual has the wiring diagram.

Section 11-13 sheet 4 of the Assembly Manual shows the installation of the dust shield.

I have not seen them 'tucked in'. That would create a 'path' for splashed ground water (puddles) to get by. The 63 I owned in the 60s and the one I own now, were/are unattached at the 'engine' side, and lying on top/covering the upper A-arm.

Pete

·
Super Moderator
3,496 Posts
@dcairns is the stapling of those flaps from the underside normal or a personal preference for aesthetics?

I thought I recalled my 66 being stapled from the engine side of things and perhaps I'm mis-remembering whether the flap was on engine side completely or attached from the underside of the wheelwell like yours.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
BA-
I got my 64 back in 82, and the remnants of what I assume to be the original flaps, were mounted on the wheel side. All other restorations I have seen also have the flap stapled on the wheel side, not the engine side. Also consider that the wheel well metal is stamped area around the place where the flaps mount. The stamping goes inward, towards the engine side, providing room for the flap to mount without letting the flap intrude into the wheel well area.

The staples were also oriented as shown in my photos. I would not want the folded over points to be facing in towards the engine area. One more thing to cut my fingers on when working on the engine.

Putting the staples in was a bit of a job. I had to drill the flap and to a lesser degree, the wheel well, to be able to push the staple through. Then juggle the wheel well on top of a small anvil while using a hammer to pound them into the 'closed' shape. If you can get a friend to help, that would make it a lot easier ;D
And yes, you almost certainly have to remove the wheel wells to do this job. Unless you have some mythical stapler that can do the job while the wheel wells are installed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts