Impalas.net banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I had an engine oil leak I thought I fixed but I didn’t completely. I had oil leaking from the engine oil pan drain bolt and it turns out I was using the wrong type of washer I think. I had been using the metal washer that has rubber in the center.

On my last oil change the other day I switched to an all nylon ribbed type and no more oil that I can see seeping out of there. However there was still a good size drop at the very back of the oil pan. Could this be the rear main seal?

one other leak I’m concerned with is actually a water leak in the trunk of the car. After I washed it recently I popped the trunk only to find a small puddle built up at the top(shelf)area. My guess is the belt line trim molding, could be it’s not tightened up all the way. Any possible other areas it could be getting down into the trunk from?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
That trunk leak sounds familiar.... the rear glass gasket could be leaking, as mine does, despite a new gasket . Apparently installing these without leaks is a lost art. Perhaps your is just getting old and leaking. I just keep my car out of the rain. Besides, it is too much work to clean it if I do go in the rain ;D

·
Registered
1961 Impala 2 Door Sedan
95 Posts
Suggest you look into one of the "no rinse" style wash systems. Assuming you keep your vehicle from getting really soiled, these are great for the maintenance washes and introduce much less water to the vehicle (and old, tired gaskets) with a ton of lubricity to protect the pain. Optimum No-Rinse is what I like to use.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts