Impalas.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys!

I'm currently restaurating a '63 Impala Convertible.

It's got the 230 cubic inch inline six engine.
Unfortunately I've got a wrong oil dipstick, at least I think so.
I filled it up with 5 liters (5.8 quarts) and there's still no oil on the dipstick.
So i would like to know the exact engine oil capacity in order to calibrate an adjustable dipstick so it indicates the right level.

I'm very grateful for any answers!
Thank you!

·
Premium Member
13,147 Posts
It will take four quarts for the pan and a half to three quarters of a quart for the filter (depends upon whether you use the short or long oil filter). All service stations pour in five quarts and start it up with the engine slightly over filled.

There are different pans and oil filters for medium and light duty trucks (light duty trucks used a five quart pan and a long filter, and bread trucks (medium duty) used a seven quart pan and an extra long oil filter that I use on all of my V-8 cars to maximize filter area (WIX filter 51522).

Big Dave

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, thanks Big Dave!
Yeah so its probably overfilled now, i will drain some oil again to reach 5 qt.
According to the 1961 Shop Manual the oil capacity of the 235cu.in. inline six engine is 5qt., unfortunately there is no oil capacity listed in the 1963 supplement shop manual for the 230cu.in. engine.
I have not found any information on the internet either.

This there an easy way to find out whether I've got the "normal" 5qt. oil pan or the 7qt. one?
It's possible that its 7qt. one because the engine installed now was originally intended for use in some construction machines in the Netherlands.
The original engine has got some coolant water leakage due to frost damage.
And to me the dipstick looks pretty original too, because it fits perfectly into the tube and the stop notch also looks like its made for that tube...

Thanks again!
Martin

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, thanks.
The one I've got installed is a 5qt. one like in the link.
I've already found the mistake. Obviously its the dipstick from the original engine.
The engine installed now is the same engine, but from 1965 and apparently they changed the length of the dipstick tube. The one from the original engine is about 1.5 inch shorter. So i will probably just shorten the tube to the length of the other one.

Thanks for your help anyhow!

Martin

·
Registered
224 Posts
Ok, thanks Big Dave!
Yeah so its probably overfilled now, i will drain some oil again to reach 5 qt.
According to the 1961 Shop Manual the oil capacity of the 235cu.in. inline six engine is 5qt., unfortunately there is no oil capacity listed in the 1963 supplement shop manual for the 230cu.in. engine.
I have not found any information on the internet either.

This there an easy way to find out whether I've got the "normal" 5qt. oil pan or the 7qt. one?
It's possible that its 7qt. one because the engine installed now was originally intended for use in some construction machines in the Netherlands.
The original engine has got some coolant water leakage due to frost damage.
And to me the dipstick looks pretty original too, because it fits perfectly into the tube and the stop notch also looks like its made for that tube...

Thanks again!
Martin
I'm glad you solved your problem. Just a note that the 235 is a completely different engine than the 230, so I wouldn't reccomend using that as a reference.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts