Impalas.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys, I'm am doing an LS1 and 700R4 swap into my 63 (2)door. I'm reading about lots of people who do rear end swaps to Ford 9" or chevy 12 bolts. I can get a chevy 12 bolt for $250, but it will need to be shortened. I was hoping to possibly just replace the axels in the stock rear end with a stronger aftermarket axel, but i'm having a hard time finding them for a 63. Moser has 64 and up, but that does me no good. does anyone here know if a GOOD & REPUTABLE axel manufacturer for the 63's???

·
Super Moderator
13,140 Posts
Problem with your axles is they have 17 splines. The '64 has 28 splines and is considerably bigger and stronger. The 1965-'72 Spicer (Dana corp.) rear ends were stronger still and installed in place of the drop out (Salisbury style) rear ends because the 409 was breaking them far to often while under warranty for GM to make money on them.

You do not necessarily need to narrow the rear end depending upon your desire for a wheel and tire combination. The 12 bolt Chevy (made by Spicer but is in fact a modified Dana 44 rear end) is considerably stronger and lighter than a Ford made nine inch rear end. Just like there is a ten bolt as well as a twelve bolt the Ford nine inch has a weaker version that was used under all but high performance cars (351C and big block powered cars). So the odds of you finding a ultra rare Ford N case (nodular iron with extra reinforcing ribs and a formed steel housing instead of a weldment) are slim to none. Finally a Ford nine inch will cost you three to four percent of your flywheel horsepower to drive it due to the low centerline of the pinion.

Here are a couple of articles you might want to read.

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/12_bolt_chevy_vs_9_inch_ford/

http://www.hemmings.com/mus/stories/2007/04/01/hmn_feature26.html

http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/techarticles/0304_9_inch_12_bolt_rearend_comparison/

And if you are interested in installing a 12 bolt under your car here is a magazine article I scanned that outlines the procedure.

Sorry to say I lost the last page from Photobucket somehow. I have all of the common car mags published from 1960 on (and few uncommon ones such as Chevy Rumble and Cars) so if you need an article I can dig it up and scan it to send as an e-Mail if need be.

Big Dave

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a ton Dave, and sorry it took so long to reply! This is all GREAT info, and helps immensely!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Alright guys, I'm am doing an LS1 and 700R4 swap into my 63 (2)door. I'm reading about lots of people who do rear end swaps to Ford 9" or chevy 12 bolts. I can get a chevy 12 bolt for $250, but it will need to be shortened. I was hoping to possibly just replace the axels in the stock rear end with a stronger aftermarket axel, but i'm having a hard time finding them for a 63. Moser has 64 and up, but that does me no good. does anyone here know if a GOOD & REPUTABLE axel manufacturer for the 63's???
Dutchman axle got good strong ones

1 - 4 of 4 Posts