Impalas.net banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read the thread on the '65 Impala PS conversion using the 12.7 quick ratio out of a Jeep GC. My question is will this same conversion work for a '64? Sorry if I'm overlooking where this question was already answered. My '64 has power steering, so if I'm getting all of this right I was planning on pulling a '95 Jeep GC 12.7 box, and buying the conversion kit from Lee's ->http://www.lee-powersteering.com/rebuild-misc.htm . The kit will take care of the shaft fitting the 12.7 box and the the SAE lines fitting the O ring fitting of the donor gear box. Im I missing anything? Or am I all systems go?

Thanks guys

·
Premium Member
13,156 Posts
There are kits to convert your power assist from an external slaver piston to an internal piston built into the box. The one off a Jeep will bolt on, but there is a bit more involved than just bolting it on.

All of the boxes I have swapped were usually going from power assist to a manual gear box and it was on nothing older than a 1967 car year, so I am limited on experience.

Big Dave

·
Registered
1 Posts
I read the thread on the '65 Impala PS conversion using the 12.7 quick ratio out of a Jeep GC. My question is will this same conversion work for a '64? Sorry if I'm overlooking where this question was already answered. My '64 has power steering, so if I'm getting all of this right I was planning on pulling a '95 Jeep GC 12.7 box, and buying the conversion kit from Lee's ->http://www.lee-powersteering.com/rebuild-misc.htm . The kit will take care of the shaft fitting the 12.7 box and the the SAE lines fitting the O ring fitting of the donor gear box. Im I missing anything? Or am I all systems go?

Thanks guys
Hey did you ever get that jgc box in? If so what did you need to do the job

·
Super Moderator
3,630 Posts
my buddy put a JGC box in his 72 Chevelle. I thought this would work on most of our GM classics as long as you know about the metric vs SAE and need for adapter kit. I'm not sure what Dave is eluding to there.
I will say that Lee's knows what they're doing, they should have a handle on anything you need for the swap.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts