Impalas.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m in need of some help, before I take it to a shop. I got a 64 impala ss with a 327, the gen light came on when I started it. After I turned it off it never started again. Alternator is good, also replaced the voltage regulator. There’s no clicking and the battery has power. The lights won’t even turn on. Any help or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Always start with the simple things first. I would check your Battery Ground Cable. Make sure it has good contact. On both ends.

·
Registered
442 Posts
The + and - cables would be where I would start too. A simple test (w/o a meter) is to 'jump' them both (one at a time) using jumper cables; see what happens.

Recommend if one is bad, replace both. The OEM 6 gage is marginal and 2 gage is recommended as a replacement.

Here's one alternative:

Another possibility (if ALL power is 'off') is the wire from the + battery cable/post to the horn relay. Some owners place a fusible link in that wire (GM did not). If it's 'gone', no juice.

Recommend checking the wiring diagrams for your car.

Pete

·
Super Moderator
3,473 Posts
If the lights are not coming non, how are you sure the battery is good? Do you have any power indications at all? (Dome light, dash idiot-lights, etc)
Agree to check the battery end of connection and both ends of the ground cable because it's easy and always the first step.

Sounds like the smaller Positive wire going from battery, probably to a junction block and then to the horn-relay is possibly not getting power for your accessories and/or key.

Do you have a multimeter or 12V test light or something to check for power at different connection points?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts