Impalas.net banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me the difference between the 65 and 66 rear brake hose? They have different part numbers. The reason I'm asking is because I'm using a 66 frame on my 65 build. Since they use the same upper link, the cross member is in the same place, so it's probably a ID change rather than a length issue. If it's an ID change, then I'll need to find the "T" block and bracket for a 66 with a 12 bolt.

Any insight is appreciated.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I believe the 65-66 12 bolt should be the same there is a brass T with threaded female ends... I think the changed it in 68, to an integrated soft hose with the T crimped on the hose that bolts to a bracket.

·
Super Moderator
1,664 Posts
Line size? 1/4 vs 3/16? I ran into this when I did the dual master conversion on my 65. The Inline Tube metering block is for the later (66 up) bigger line, needed an adapter.

·
Registered
452 Posts
looking up in my 39th Hollander....lot of brake options....

1961-1967....front drums are identical, rear drums are identical
std. lining 24/587 (part # 3272326 front, 3985944 rear)
met. lining 79/77 (part # 3872384 front, 3869537 rear)

Brake Master cylinder
65-66 only
single cylinder, std lining, Bendix....280 (part# 3853776, Bendix 618105)
single cylinder, std lining, Moraine....172 (part# 5465489)
single cylinder, met lining, ..........200 (part# 5464275, Moraine)
dual cylinder................................201 (part# 5467154)

rear axle, 1965-68
3-arm suspension ...855
4-arm suspension ...856

reading the axle notes it looks like 855 is 10-bolt covers
856 has 10 and 12 bolt covers, but 10bolt is standard duty while 12bolt is heavy duty

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was assuming it was a line size issue, especially since the rear crossmember wasn’t relocated until 67(?).

I’m converting to C3 Corvette brakes at all 4 corners. The rear is a 4-arm 12 bolt, making the Corvette rear caliper brackets are a direct bolt on.

So…in your opinion, is it worth going to bigger brake lines, or stick with what I have? I’m trying to avoid hard-to-flex line bracket issues.

·
Registered
452 Posts
my thinking is:

1) it's possible that GM changed the way lines connected back then and this is why you have two different part #'s
2) with all the different brake options and axle options, it could that the lines for Bendix were different than the lines for Moraine

some of the brake info I listed above also mentioned being used on Corvettes but I'd have to go back and see which years specifically

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Some was used on Corvettes? That’s very interesting. You certainly got my gears turning now. Perhaps I’ll reach out to in-line tube and see what we can do in terms of line size since they’re being replaced anyway.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey BW
Our fronts are identical, but it looks like you’re further along. I'm using a C3 aluminum master cylinder and all the bits & pieces from the to the wheels...and the wheels too I guess.

C3 rear caliper brackets are a direct bolt on to the 65-70 12 bolt axel flange. If you want an e-brake, you'll need to use the backing plates. The good news it all the corvette shops sell stainless e-brake kits and they're not too expensive.

Here's some pictures of the e-brake assembly. If you do this, assemble the e-brake before you install the axles, and watch some how-to videos. it's really just a miniature drum brake, but all Corvetted up to make it tricky.

Automotive tire Hood Rim Automotive fuel system Suspension
Gas Bumper Machine Auto part Automotive tire

I intend to drive this car a lot. Primarily following the IMSA circuit. So my goal was to use parts that I can get at any parts store. (in case of trouble on the road) I went off the reservation with the C3 Willwoods. HOWEVER... I decided to go back to the C3 setup. This gets me back to the original plan, and I won't need 18 or 19 inch rear wheels in order to get the tire diameter I need so the speedo reads correctly. That and in Indiana potholes make rubber band tires impractical...unless you just like buying new wheels again, and again, and again...

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Vehicle brake Automotive design
Automotive tire Gear Wood Motor vehicle Rim
Automotive tire Automotive design Rim Engineering Auto part
Wheel Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Automotive design

Here's a picture of the calipers, pads and rotors from Rock Auto. The calipers are ACDelco remans, and the rotor/pad kit is PowerStop. I took a chance on the rotor/pads as I know nothing about the brand, but they appear to be very high quality pieces and the rotors are coated so they shouldn't rust.

Wood Font Rectangle Gas Concrete
Light Black Automotive design Automotive tire Table

·
Registered
188 Posts
Sam, thanks for the picture and details.

couple questions:

- Are the calipers and brackets Left and Right? ( previous posts mentioned he used Left or right on both sides for the brake cable fitment)

- Any issue with Axle clearance? ( others mentioned you had to grind down the axle or turn down to have it fit?)

- Do you know how the Parking brake cable fits and which you would need to use?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
BW, (Ted?)

If you're referring to Rebelrouser, his goal was to copy the JL8 option code, and he did a fine job of it too. Right down to the e-brake brackets. I'm just looking for a straight forward conversion that works well, that's why I'm using right & left hand parts. If you look carefully at the last picture I posted, you can see the part numbers on the caliper boxes.

Moser built my differential. I told them my plan to use C3 Brakes, and they said "that's good to know." Not sure what they meant, but they made the axles and I haven't had any issues. I really don't think the stock axles would be a problem anyway. There is no clearance problem. The issue is getting the axle in far enough to get the C-clip installed. I think you might be able to adjust (expand) the e-brake out far enough to clear the axle anyway. Remember, it's just a miniature shoe brake, and it has a regular shoe brake adjuster. I'll try to get a picture so you can see what I'm talking about.

Regarding the e-brake cable, I'm working with In-Line Tube on this. Rebelrouser used the JL8 cables. This would lead one to believe the shorter of the two would work for both sides when using L & R hand hardware. But even the short JL8 cable is longer than the Impala cable, which is already too long. As soon as I get some weight on the frame so I'm reasonably close to ride height, I'll take a measurement and In-Line Tube will make the cables to fit my brackets. Once these are made we will have a part number, and anyone can order a set.

My next project is to make a drawing of the e-brake bracket so I can reproduce them.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey Ted

Not yet. I'm working on the HVAC and brakes as time allows. Restoring the HVAC is the hardest part of this project so far. Ended up making parts for that too.

I hope to work on the brackets this weekend, but who knows.

Regarding the axle clearance issue you asked about, here's some pictures. The only issue is getting the axle in far enough to install the c clip. As you can see from the pictures, the e-brake shoes get in the way. That's really the only issue. But I think the e'brake may provide enough clearance when fully adjusted out. As you can see in the pictures, I almost have enough room, and my brake is only adjusted out about 1/4 of the way.

Wheel Automotive tire Aircraft Tire Vehicle
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Alloy wheel Motor vehicle
Automotive tire Rim Bicycle part Engineering Motor vehicle

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here's the ebrake cable brackets. I cut them from a piece of old 3 inch square tube stock. They're a best guess because I have no idea what things will look like then there's weight on the chassis and there's a tire on it. So there's a relatively good chance this will change.

Auto part Household hardware Composite material Fashion accessory Font
Household hardware Circle Auto part Font Nut

1 - 15 of 15 Posts