Impalas.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know which Impala parts supplier has a body mount kit that fits correctly?
I bought a body mount bushing kit made by OER, a BM1003B. There's no way this kit is correct. I've also purchased an Energy Suspension kit, a 3-4138 that doesn't fit well either. The problem I'm having is the fenders won't rest on the radiator support with these body bushings in place - they are simply too tall. I would have to space the radiator support up 3/4 inch or more if I used these bushings. With the body, fenders, and radiator support aligned properly, the lower cowl body mount to frame spacing is about 1/2 to 5/8 inch. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
8 Posts
New body mounts were installed on my 65 by the po and I ran into the same issue. The chevy assembly manual shows that spacers were used to lift the radiator support "as needed" so I have it lifted about a 1/2"

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
151 Posts
you will need to cut the bushing or the frame, no one makes proper 65/66 bushings.

Check out my post on the frame replacement I had to cut mine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
you will need to cut the bushing or the frame, no one makes proper 65/66 bushings.

Check out my post on the frame replacement I had to cut mine.

Thanks for the info. Energy Suspension makes a polyurethane bushing kit that fits pretty good, except for the height, or thickness, of the bushing. I would really prefer an oem material, but oh well. I've already decided to cut the bushings to fit properly, Too bad no one makes a kit that doesn't have to be modified! I've looked at modifying the OER bushing kit. (looks like that's what you used in the photos) It will require a lot more modification. Your 66 looks great! Mine is also a 66

·
Super Moderator
3,473 Posts
I'm curious what folks are doing to create the spacer since we're talking from 1/4" - 1/2" and a diameter of a couple of inches.
It'd be great to have some pre-made or ordered before I do my bushing replacement. I really don't want to go full-on backyard mechanic and use a cut piece of wood. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm curious what folks are doing to create the spacer since we're talking from 1/4" - 1/2" and a diameter of a couple of inches.
It'd be great to have some pre-made or ordered before I do my bushing replacement. I really don't want to go full-on backyard mechanic and use a cut piece of wood. :)
I would recommend what is called a "fender washer". Probably a 1/2" or 5/8" . The O.D. of a fender washer is much larger than a standard flat washer. Only problem with them is the are usually very thin. It might take 8 or more to equal 1/2" in thickness. Or maybe a piece of 1/2 x 2" flat steel, cut at 2" in length, drilled appropriately for a start, then add fender washers as needed. Ebay is a good source for such material if you don't have a local nut and bolt store.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts