Impalas.net banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 65 chevy impala SS, and wanting to know about tire size. I'm putting 20x8.5 rims on the front and 20x10's of the back. Any suggestions on tire sizes? Thinking of 245/45/20 on the front, 285/50/20 or 285/55/20 the back. Anyone running 20's on their car? Just want to know if the tires will give me any rubbing issues. Open to suggestions on tire size.

·
Premium Member
13,156 Posts
Welcome to the Team James!

Most of the guys on this board are into white glove restorations (but not all, there are some that enjoy driving the wheels off their cars). From memory we have three others that are running wheels larger than 17 inch on their car and they will probably respond to your post with useful information in time.

Big Dave

·
Super Moderator
1,614 Posts
Those tires are going to be wayyyyy too tall. Use this link, put in your stock height, and then start putting in 20s on the other. Try and keep the height increase under 5%.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

A quick look tells me that a 255 35 20 would be close to a 215 75 14.

·
Premium Member
13,156 Posts
Welcome to the Team Ignacio!

The original tire size was 7.35 by 14 inch. It was a bias ply construction tire usually from Uniroyal or a occasionally you got a Goodyear tire. Radial tire construction was around (only from Michelin back then), but they where considered exotic, not to mention expensive. 1965 was a couple of years before fiberglass or aramid fibers started to appear in tire construction so tire fibers where still either cotton for the cord or steel wire for the bead. There was a 7.50 inch tire width used on a convertible as well as an 8.25 inch on the wagons. The most common tire size stocked as TBA for your car in every corner gas station would have been a 7.75, so if it has an off brand and that size I would suspect that is who mounted it.

Your wheels where made by Kelsey-Hayes and where 14 inch in diameter by 6 inches wide. They have a 4-3/4 inch bolt circle using five lugs. If they are original (date stamp is inside the wheel) have them inspected for cracks as wheels age along with every other part of the car.

The dog dish hub cap (center cover) was standard equipment, but on an SS car you got a special SS full wheel cover as part of the SS package. A different full wheel cover was offered as an optional part for non-SS cars.

Big Dave

·
Premium Member
2,916 Posts
Wheels were 14 x 5 in 65 unless you had wheels off a station wagon that were 14 x 6

·
Registered
141 Posts
I think he wants a 1965 DONK !

The information I have indicates Stock 1965 Impala tire sizes were as follows"

6 cyl & 283 cars: 7:35-(83)-14
All Convertibles: 7:75-(83)-14
327 cars: 7:75-(83)-14
409 cars: 8.25-(83)-14

(sidewall height is 83% of cross sectional width)

This information was taken from a reprint of the 1965 Chevrolet Impala Owners Manual.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
According to some charts online, the 205/75/14 equals a 7.75, the 215 an 8.25.

In my opinion, either one would be fine, depending on which one you would prefer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts