Impalas.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 65 Caprice has the Level Air option.
I need to know everything Ya'll know about this option!
I've asked before,but it seems most have never heard of it.
Mine is missing the vac/air pump and I have the chance to buy one.
I'd really like to put this back in service if possible,but information is not easy to find.
TIA,Mike.:)

·
Premium Member
13,142 Posts
They were offered on Cadillac's as an option not standard equipment so I assume someone special ordered this as a COPO (Central Office Production Order) option installed on a Chevy. I do not believe it was ever offered as an RPO (Regular Production Order) from Chevrolet though I may be mistaken.

There is a world full of COPO's (they are not as rare as people believe) that most people are unaware of (the number of options available if you were willing to pay cash for the vehicle was about six pages long).

Most COPO's exist as phone trucks or rail road service vehicles, but if you worked at a company that was doing a lot of purchasing directly from the factory you could have anything Including an Impala built any way you wanted it. I think that is how your car entered the world.

Big Dave

Big Dave

·
Registered
467 Posts
Isn't it possible Dave, that this too could have been some GM big-wig's car back in '65 .. and it just made it's way into the world years later? Rather cool if it did ... 1965 was the 1st year of the Caprice as we all know .. i can imagine that someone decided to stuff the level-Aire system from a Cadillac to show it off.

·
Super Moderator
2,916 Posts
Could have been a dealer installed option? Mabe a mafia guy had some heavy stuff to haul in the trunk of his new Caprice.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Automatic level control:

Each of the options below were in fact Regular production options for 1965. G66 did not come with the air level control you speak of where as G67 did.What information are you looking for?

G66 Superlift rear shock absorbers

G67 Superlift rear shock absorbers with automatic level controlPaul

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm interested in the G67 option package.
This includes the vacuum powered air pump,the air line thru the frame to the rear,the control valve mounted on the right lower rear control arm and the air shocks.It also includes the special air horn on the 4 barrel carb for the vacuum source.
My Caprice has all but the carb and the vacuum/air pump.I have agreed to buy a vacuum/air pump,but still need the carb.
I also badly need some pics of the whole system as installed,especially the shocks to verify mine are original.
It's my understanding that this option was available only on the 65 and 66 full size Chevrolets.Also been told it was only offered on big block cars.But mine has the 327 flags and no indication of a big block engine.All body panels show the original paint.The paint was evening orchid,but car is now cobalt blue.
I've owned this Caprice for 4 years now after looking for about 8 years to find it.
So far,I've only heard of 4 with this option,and very few who have even heard of it!
Apparently,level air is pretty rare so I'm fishing for all the information I can get.
Whether it was a copo or rpo is not determined yet.I doubt it was a dealer install.
I do need all the help I can get!
Mike.:)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry Paul,i forgot you said it was RPO.
Someone else that I sent the trim tag info to said it was on the tag along with the other options it has.
Some other options:
Tilt wheel
Black vinyl roof
Rear antannae(was 2 but left side filled in)
Tinted glass
Power steering
Power brakes
Powerglide
Posi rear
12 bolt/355 gear
Caprice option
Rear speaker
Rear bumper guards
Dual exhaust
Haven't found a build sheet(yet!)
Thanks,Mike.:)

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
G67

Mike,
Regardless of what you are hearing, RPO G67 was a regular production option. Let's keep in ind that I specialize in the 1966 Full Size and looked through my paperwork. My 1966 Chassis Service manual has an entire section on Automatic Level control in section 15-13. General description, checks and adjustments, service operations, with loads of pictures and exploded view of components. Additionally, I looked over my 1966 Assembly manual and everything you could ever want to see as far as parts, part numbers and installation is in there under G67 in the options index. The breakdown does show the installations for 283 and 327 engines also. I suggest you secure a 1965 Assembly manual a.s.a.p. and a 1965 Chassis Service manual.
Lastly, the August 1965 Chevrolet Service New bulletin has an entire section on issues that arose with the Automatic Level control system and diagnosis and repair.
Hope this helps.

Paul

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Paul,just the information I needed to know!
I have a chassie service manual on the way.
And I will get the others as soon as I can.
This is my 3rd one.We had a 65 Caprice when I was young and I had a 66 sport sedan in the mid-70's.
I would probably re-paint it the original color,but the paint on it now is good.And it needs some bodywork.Plus the cost of course!
I'll try to post my picturetrail in a minute with some pictures.
Here's the picturetrail site.Lots of pictures of my stuff!

http://www.picturetrail.com/100chevy
Mike.:)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Another question for you Paul.
Do you know if the vacuum/air pump gets paint(what color
) or does it stay the natural brass color?
No,I haven't gotten my manuals yet-still waiting for them to get to me from the guy I bought them from!
Thanks,Mike.:)

·
Registered
90 Posts
I remember finding information about air suspention installation in my '65 assembly manual and thinking that had to be pretty scarce cause I never heard of it.

Seems like you have a pretty cool car, it's a good thing that you try to restore that system to operating condition

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Air suspension

I will check with the tech expert in my club.

Paul

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 65 Caprice has the Level Air option.
I need to know everything Ya'll know about this option!
I've asked before,but it seems most have never heard of it.
Mine is missing the vac/air pump and I have the chance to buy one.
I'd really like to put this back in service if possible,but information is not easy to find.
TIA,Mike.:)
I have one Gary 916-208-8099

1 - 14 of 14 Posts