Impalas.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a 65 ss years ago. It had a power glide trans and 396 fender badges but had a small block. Buddy had a 66 w/396 and 3 speed auto. mine had a console w/ buckets and console shifter. What are odds motor was original and someone had put 396 fender badges on it?
or, was a 396 available with a glide?
it had console gauges too. Kinda cool.

·
Super Moderator
13,132 Posts
The big block engine was used with a TH400 three speed auto, a Muncie Four speed manual, or a Borg-Warner (not a Saginaw) three speed manual, never with a PowerGlide because a big block would break it. It would also break a saginaw four speed or a Saginaw three speed for the same reason. The engine's torque exceeded the torque rating of the transmission. It is torque, not horsepower that breaks things.

Big Block emblems and SS emblems sat on the counter of the service departments parts counter for sale to anyone with $2.50 or $4.95 plus tax in their pocket. They were sold like chewing gum and candy bars were sold at the Quickie Mart. Engine decals cost a buck back then, but you had to ask for them as there was no profit in selling them, hence no reason to put them in a cardboard box on the counter top.

Big Dave

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The big block engine was used with a TH400 three speed auto, a Muncie Four speed manual, or a Borg-Warner (not a Saginaw) three speed manual, never with a PowerGlide because a big block would break it. It would also break a saginaw four speed or a Saginaw three speed for the same reason. The engine's torque exceeded the torque rating of the transmission. It is torque, not horsepower that breaks things.

Big Block emblems and SS emblems sat on the counter of the service departments parts counter for sale to anyone with $2.50 or $4.95 plus tax in their pocket. They were sold like chewing gum and candy bars were sold at the Quickie Mart. Engine decals cost a buck back then, but you had to ask for them as there was no profit in selling them, hence no reason to put them in a cardboard box on the counter top.

Big Dave

Big Dave

·
Registered
997 Posts
I have a '67 Impala 396 Parts Car with a Factory Powerglide Trans. I never got the Engine, but the guy I bought it from verified that it was a 396. It still has the 2-Speed Powerglide indicator in it as well as the 396 Emblems.

I have learned through the years that yes, you could get a 396 with a PG Trans, although mainly with the Small HP 396/325.

Here is one of many charts out there that will show it. Especially notice the "IG" Code in the chart for all 4 years, '65 to '68. This is a Chevelle site, but it shows all Chevrolets:

·
Registered
376 Posts
The big block engine was used with a TH400 three speed auto, a Muncie Four speed manual, or a Borg-Warner (not a Saginaw) three speed manual, never with a PowerGlide because a big block would break it.

Big Dave
Dave, you better take a good look at your information sources. Lots of 396's came with Powerglides in the big cars as well as in Chevelles and even Corvette.

I don't think a Powerglide was ever offered with a 454 but it certainly was with 396 or 427.

·
Registered
997 Posts
I also have noticed that. In the same chart I posted above, I see that there were some Powerglides in the back of 427's in the Corvette in '66 and '67.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
We got the 65 in 1975. it had the proper glide shifter assy. For sure different then my friends 66 shifter. My next door neighbor had a 68 camaro and I think it had the horseshoe style shifter?

·
Super Moderator
1,532 Posts
The big block engine was used with a TH400 three speed auto, a Muncie Four speed manual, or a Borg-Warner (not a Saginaw) three speed manual, never with a PowerGlide because a big block would break it.
This is getting old. Please, if you're going to post something that you THINK you know... maybe do some research to make sure what you THINK you remember might be accurate. This isn't a forum for bench racing, reminiscing about Don Garlits, talking about all the 396s that went in the dumpster, about how Powerglides are broken TH350s... enough. Take a break. Let the discussions continue with the members that ACTUALLY OWN THESE CARS.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
As already posted, the 396 absolutely was available with a powerglife trans. With the 396 there was a total of 91,290 automatic transmissions installed. 85,016 were Turbo 400 transmissions with the balance being powerglides. In 1965 the 396 was built with 42,006 automatic transmissions, this included 17,821 turbo 400s with the balance being powerglides.
I think your initial question was whether the car came originally with a 396. Now, you could not order a small block with a turbo 400 in 65 or 66. If your 65 was not a Flint built car and it has a accessory code on the trim tag of 2Z designating a Turbo 400, then we know it was a 396. There are other telltale signs of a big block also. Paul

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i can’t even guarantee the motor was not a 396. it was easily smaller in size then my buddies 66 though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts