Impalas.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering if anyone had ever tried to remove the shift pattern emblem on a 65 4 speed console, to replace or restore it? I don't know how it's attached. If its just glued on or if it has some studs that protrude or something, and if it's even possible or practical to try to remove. Would like to hear if anyone has any experience with this. Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I meant to ask also on my initial post, can the emblem be restored in place? Is there anything that can be used to fill in scratches that would have the same finish, or would you have to try to fill the scratches and then just paint it?

·
Super Moderator
1,586 Posts
Good pics. For replacement, check the usual places, Impala Bob's etc.

The dings aren't going to come out of that, but you could polish it up a bit, and then fill the engraved pattern with black paint (and wipe off with thinner) to have the pattern look crisp.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I actually already got one of the 63 emblems from Classic Industries. It's a little bit longer than on the 65, so if it was trimmed to fit, it would cut off a little bit of the top and bottom of the pattern. Numbers and R actually, or at least would be too close, I would have to re-measure that. It is also thicker (about 1/16) and does have two mounting studs. The 65 is quite thin, which I guess is why it has scratches and dings. Nobody has anything for the 65. I might see how the 63 emblem would look, if I just let it hang over on the ends.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What I did was, cut off the mounting studs on the 63 shift emblem, grind them flush, and glue it with silicone right over the original. The 63 is the same width as the overall width of the 65, and is about 7/16" longer. I let it hang over equally on both ends and then filled in the gaps with black silicone.
20210406_183559.jpg
20210407_184229.jpg
20210407_184347.jpg

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Looks good.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts