Impalas.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I'm new to the Forum. I'm in the process of restoring a 65 SS 396 4 speed. I am already well along, still need to install vintage air, carpet and interior, grill, bumpers etc. Don't think this is an original Big Block car, but I did have one, for a year in 1967, before I went into the Air Force in 1968. My brother actually bought it new.

The main thing I need help with right now is advice on restoring the console, but I will go to the Restoration Forum and ask there.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
1,586 Posts
Welcome, that will be a nice ride. There are clues to figure out if it was a big block car. Can you start with posting a good photo of the trim tag?

·
Registered
384 Posts
Welcome here.

The first thing to check is the fuel line from the tank to the engine. An original big block car would have 3/8" line, (although I think 327 had it as well). If it's 5/16" line you know it was a 6 cylinder or a 283.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I already know it had a 5/16 fuel line, so I guess I really do know it wasn't an original big block. I did a frame off restoration and replaced the fuel and brake lines, E brake cables and everything, and I did install the 3/8 fuel line. I thought the 327's had 5/16 fuel lines as well? It has a 12 bolt rear end, so I think it would have had to have a 300 HP 327 to have that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts