Impalas.net banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of years ago I was doing a search for a shifter boot for my car, and I came across some old posts from this forum. I think they were from 2015 or 2013. At that time someone was actually manufacturing a reproduction shift boot for the 65 SS 4 speed (with console). Apparently that was short lived however. I tried the 66-67 from Classic Industries, but it didn't look like it would really work, so I thought the 64, what they call the lower with console, might work, possibly upside down, or if not, then right side up.

I Still had the outside of the original intact. I didn't think I could get the boot over the shift arm with the reverse ears in place, without tearing it, so I disassembled the shift arm. Getting it back together, getting the wire threaded back through, was a real adventure, a real challenge. And I was lucky, because it was a new one with a solid wire.

I think the 64 boot upside down worked quite well. I haven't tucked it up under the retaining ring yet, but I think that will work also. I think this would work even if you didn't have anything left of the original boot.
Bag Wood Gas Tints and shades Metal
Automotive tire Vehicle Bumper Rim Motor vehicle
Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Trunk Automotive tire
Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper

1 - 1 of 1 Posts