Impalas.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an issue where my battery is being drained. I have replaced the alternator, the voltage regulator, battery. I can not determine what's killing my battery. Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
13,140 Posts
Welcome to the Team!

You have a short somewhere in your wiring. You cam measure the amount (in amps) at the battery with a meter which will allow you to calculate how long it will take to drain the battery flat knowing the Amp/hour rating of the battery. Something is completing a circuit somewhere in the car. It could be due to corrosion or burnt points on a contact in some switch that is allowing current to flow when it shouldn't be.

Your options are a battery disconnect switch or to replace the wiring and switches (the easy way out). Or you can attempt to trace the source of the short by starting at the ignition switch (by measuring the Ohms the switch offers to Voltage), then pulling all of the fuses one by one to isolate the bad electrical circuit. Once you know the circuit with the short you pull every inch of wire looking for a bare wire or evidence of corrosion (a green trace of copper oxide) at a point of termination that could be bleeding off power.

Big Dave

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Lights

Also check for simple drains, maybe a bad adjustment on the interior door jam light switch not allowing interior lights to go off, check same and harder to find if you have a trunk light, same for a hood light if you have one. Check also console lights if applicable and glove box light.

Paul

·
Super Moderator
2,916 Posts
Aftermarket radio's are bad for that also.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Big Dave! I believe I will start with the ignition switch. I initially swapped it out with a 65 impala switch. I also had to rewire it as well. Do you have a pic or 'color coded' diagram of the ignition switch wiring? I'm pretty sure I got it wired correctlly but I am sceptical of the gauge of the wiring I used.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Paul, I did replace my rear lamp harness. Everything appears to be connected. The console, hood, trunk and glove box lamps are all disconnected right now.
Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
377 Posts
With the positive cable removed, put a test light between the cable and the positive battery post. See if it lights up. If so-

Remove fuses one at a time as suggested to see if the draw goes away.

If not, then try unplugging the connector on the back of the ignition switch. Maybe somehow you got something wired up wrong on that connector?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts