Impalas.net banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 66 impala and it cranks really slow. I thought maybe it was a bad battery so I switched one in from another vehicle I have but same result. All the cables look to be in decent shape. I had a new starter sitting around and swapped it on and now it won’t even crank. Wondering what could be the issue.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Could be a few different things, but I would be checking all the connections on the Starter that you just installed. I would also make sure that the Starter you had "sitting around" was a good one as well as the correct application for your car. If correct, it may be worth taking it back out to bench test it.

·
Registered
1961 Impala 2 Door Sedan
95 Posts
Grab your meter and test the current to validate the wiring is OK.

Have you tried removing the plugs and turning by hand? Mine turns easily with the crank pulley bolt.

Also - for the "other" starter that you used... if it's not shimmed properly or it's for a different tooth count flywheel it may jamb up and not be able to rotate.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Could be a few different things, but I would be checking all the connections on the Starter that you just installed. I would also make sure that the Starter you had "sitting around" was a good one as well as the correct application for your car. If correct, it may be worth taking it back out to bench test it.
I’ll recheck the connections on it. It was brand new in the box since I bought it for another impala but didn’t end up using it. Just found it strange the old one would crank (very slowly) and the new one won’t do anything.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Simply as a test, using your jumper cables, jump the + cable from battery to starter and see what happens. Do the same with the -, jump from battery to ground.

If you need to replace one cable; recommend replacing both. Also recommend using 2 gage wire because it has less resistance than th OEM (6 gage?, I think).

Pete

·
Registered
300 Posts
My friend just had this issue. Checked cables at battery --> not fixed. Replaced battery --> not fixed. Replaced starter --> not fixed.
Finally checked the ground where it bolts to the frame --> LOOSE, so he tightened it up --> FIXED.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I agree with BigDogSS
"Finally checked the ground where it bolts to the frame --> LOOSE, so he tightened it up --> FIXED"
If you know how to do a voltage drop test it will pinpoint the issue 9 times out of 10.
Their are some really good youtube videos on how it works.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts