Impalas.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 66 impala SS 327-no air. heats up when parading or tight slow downtown traffic. Runs fine any other time. has the metal spacer and no fan shroud - looking to install a shoud to help it funnel air at low speeds - can not find one. - anyone have info on one close in size to fit up to my original recored radiator.

·
Super Moderator
2,915 Posts
Need to find a original small block fan shroud for a 65-66 Impala. It will bolt in where the original one was before someone removed it. Also your car probably came with a metal 4 blade fan. I would change it to a 6 or more blade clutch fan. I do not recommend a flex fan.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Bill, If you have a 3 or 4 core radiator, do some measuring before you buy a clutch and fan. I couldn't get a clutch fan to fit between my 3 core and water pump on my 65 327. I had no choice but to go with a flex fan when I wanted to eliminate the heavy metal 5 blade stock fan. And I have seen used shrouds on EBay.

·
Super Moderator
13,043 Posts
You can make a shroud out of flat sheet metal that is rolled into a circle and riveted or welded togeter. If you could roll a bead in it that would stiffen the metal shroud (that is what the factory did). Then weld or rivet on two brackets of flat metal with a 90 degree brake to mount it.

Big Dave

·
Registered
109 Posts
Is that what they do with those aftermarket shiny ones Dave? I've seen those or someone is making them and selling them...Most of the ones I've seen on e-bay are for 396/427 big blocks, would that fit? Thinking a welding shop could make one for not too many clams also....I bought a 4 cell and put in a new thermo....but my 65 needs one also...

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Small block shroud:

Impala Bob's sells repro small block shrouds, his part # 170001.

Paul

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
If it did not have ac, I would think you would have a large spacer between radiator support and radiator moving radiator closer to fan, if you put a shroud in, one would think you would need the ac spacer? Not real sure on 66, 67 is that way, smaller being thicker front to rear.
Bill

·
Super Moderator
13,043 Posts
That is because the new board software finds every post you have not read before when you hit the new button. So unless you have been here since day one; expect to find a lot of old posts being dregged up.

Big Dave

1 - 10 of 10 Posts