Impalas.net banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Doing some reading and looking to update my steering box on my 66 impala.

What I read was that one could use a 1995 Jeep grand Cherokee steering box as noted below.

from impalatom

When using the Jeep GC steering box you will need a new rag joint. I believe the right one came from an 80's Chevy PU. In my case I bought the correct rag joint from Lee Steering but I later found out you can purchase much cheaper from Autozone or similar. I am fairly sure the Lares #200 is the correct rag joint. IF your car has original power steering you will use the original pitman arm. You do not use the Jeep GC pitman arm. Note, if your car was not original power steering that pitman arm is different and will not work. You would need to find a 65 PS pitman arm.

Also you will need to either use the Lee Steering o-ring to flare tube fitting inserts or you can buy the adapter fittings. The fittings can be sourced from several places such as Classic Performance Products, the part number for the set is 605SOL. I went with the Lee inserts to keep the appearance stock, there was absolutely no problems with the threads tightening up into the metric threads of the Jeep GC steering box. If you are worried about this you can always use the adapter fittings I referenced above.

The nice thing about using the Jeep GC box is the 2.9 turns approx. lock to lock compared to original approx 4 turns lock to lock. Also the Jeep GC box gives the full 87.5 degree sweep same as original with a much firmer feel. I do not believe any early 70's steering box is the quick ratio steering.

I priced it all together for about $180 total.. used box $100, adapters, $60 + shipping from eBay..

O
r one could go the Lars 974 route: found on rock auto.

LARES 974 Remanufactured; Includes New Steering Coupling Assembly
w/ Power Steering; Fast 10:1 Ratio; (3 Bolt Mounting Holes) Uses Camaro IROC Internals; Correct OE Turning Radius

comes with coupler and doesn't need hose adapters..

$287.79
$125.00 core$412.79

$412+ 25 shipping total unless they will take your old box as a core... which I'm not sure they will..

For the money I'll probably go the jeep and ebay route.

I'll keep you posted!

· Premium Member
399 Posts
Lares had a good reputation a while back and is a widely considered option for a reman box. If you go with an unknown vendor (like I have in the past) you may end up with sloppy steering within a couple thousand miles and end up spending even more to replace it.

· Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Not replacing the pump (may upgrade the valve), and want it to look original. That pump will not be an option.

If I go with the jeep box it's still cheaper to replace it twice than buy the reman box. And I always have my original that's newer I can slap back in there...

I spent alot of effort to make it look somewhat original.. no Serpentine Kit or gaudy chrome for me.

· Registered
1,590 Posts
Curious about the need for a quicker ratio box. I actually like the way these old cars and trucks steer. As well as not liking how the newer cars steer in comparison. Curious to the different opinions out there on it.

Reactions: brickwhite

· Premium Member
399 Posts
I should have included this as well: Turn One Steering - Steering Products

Not sure what I had in my head linking the pump...

The quick ratio box is not a dramatic change but it is an improvement in feedback and response (if you're looking for that). The other significant improvement is the lack of slop when you're "on center" and the car just turns as soon as you move the wheel. With all the changes I've made to steering geometry, my car drives and handles much more like a modern sport sedan.

Not much left about my car that is factory correct so I've never been concerned with keeping it that way.

· Registered
71 Posts
It seems like every part is a research project, right? I was looking at the jeep swap too. But for about the same total cost, I got a variable ratio gearbox from AGR. This gives a quick ratio at lower speeds, but takes out the twitchiness at highway speeds

Looks like their site is under construction, but the phone number is good.

· Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I ended up buying the Jeep box so all parts needed were less than $175 shipped. I'll keep you posted on install.

I wasn't going to to spend $1400 on a steering box for a car thats driven once in a while to cars and coffee.

guess year one sells the AGR boxes...$400+ shipping.

· Registered
71 Posts
Yikes! I bought the AGR probably 6 years ago when I was still collecting parts. So that 400 figure makes me feel better, but nothing like what you got away with.
What A-arms and steering column are you using?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts