Impalas.net banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.

I am thinking about buying a car from a friend of mine. He bought the car at Mecums some time ago on whim without really looking into it.

The car is 1966 Impala SS 427 (390) convertible, 4 speed. It is currently Triple Black (exterior, interior, convertible top).

I bought the Chev by the Numbers book and tried to understand the trim tag.

It seems to check out as a SS V8 convertible, black, but I think the interior is supposed to be white maybe based on the trim charts

Another friend has a similar car and frankly the trim tags don’t look the same.

what do you guys think? Looks right?

Thanks so much
F

Attachments

·
Registered
166 Posts
Can't help with decode, but that hole is conspicuous along with the way it looks around bottom left hand corner & rivet, it's almost like theres filler on it. I don't think the plate would normally be painted, if I were you i'd ask your friend if its ok to take the paint off it, maybe there's something hidden or maybe the paint is just lifting & giving that appearance. Also i'd question the style of rivet but i'm only saying that as a question, I haven't seen enough to know but someone else will comment soon i'm sure.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Yeah I know. The other way you could approach it is through Mecums, I would expect they would need to verify the cars prior to sale but I could be wrong, but if they do it would be a good way to find out without needing to bother your friend or touch the car.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Two straightforward questions for the group.

1. If this is a real 4 speed car, should the transmission type be listed on the Tag?

2. What does the “805” on the bottom left mean?
Tag is fine, true 66 SS Conv, yes’m interior was originally ivory with headrests. Wilmington tags dopn’t show accessory codes but there is a good chance the build sheet was in the car but the entire interior was changed so you won’t find it in the usual locations… Check with Warren to see if he has any info on car: [email protected]

Reactions: 62BillT

·
Registered
48 Posts
My guess is, since ivory interiors are notoriously difficult to maintain, A black interior was installed possibly from a donor car. I have seen vinyl die used to change a cars interior color. I would check for that in a inconspicuous location.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Yeah I know. The other way you could approach it is through Mecums, I would expect they would need to verify the cars prior to sale but I could be wrong, but if they do it would be a good way to find out without needing to bother your friend or touch the car.
No auction company will verify the authenticity of all the vehicles they are selling. There may be exceptions.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts