Impalas.net banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently replaced my under dash harness. All is working fine but I noticed that my front parking lights turn off when I turn on my headlights. Is this normal? If not how can I get my parking lights to stay on while my headlights are on. :confused:

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Do the lights go dim or do they actually go out? If they dim I'd say a bad ground/short, recheck your wiring or if they go out I would check the headlight switch.
Check the obvious first its usually there.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
they turn off completely. the parking lights turn on just fine... but as soon as go to turn on the headlights the front parking lights turn off. So you would say to check my headlight switch? Check for what exactly? thanks for the quick response.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I'm sure that you can check the switch with a volt-ohm meter but I cannot remember the circuitry. Haynes and Chiltons can help you there. But if your not comfortable troubleshooting I would check that switch against a new one which I think there still available in the parts houses like Advance Auto etc.. If not the aftermarket does sell them. After all with that new wiring it would'nt hurt to replace the headlight and wiper switches.
I also had a bad dimmer switch go out and I had the same issue with my park light's.
Just a thought. Give it some time others will help also.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I Believe thats the way they're supposed to work. It wasnt til 68 that the parking lights stayed on with the headlights
Yep, the cars and pickups were both setup like that. I think it's a good idea because it makes the front turn signal more obvious that it's on, during night driving.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Owning nothing older- for long- a 68' I would have thought this would be the set up for all years from 65' but now I learned something new today. I guess 68 would be the most likely year for the change mainly due to all the mandatory safety improvements like those side markers and collapsable steering shafts, hidden wipers etc....

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Parking lights

This is correct from the factory. A friend of mine accomplished what you wish to by removing the headlight switch and installing a small jumper wire from the
parking light connectors to the headlight connectors.

Paul

·
Registered
2 Posts
they turn off completely. the parking lights turn on just fine... but as soon as go to turn on the headlights the front parking lights turn off. So you would say to check my headlight switch? Check for what exactly? thanks for the quick response.
I Have a 66 impala, that is normal front park lights shut off when you turn on headlights, but work bright for signal or low for park no headlights.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts