Impalas.net banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello
Bought an 1966 SS lately and the previous owner had its dash trim covered in wood-like sticker.
I got the aluminum bezel parts ...would it fit instead ?

Need your help
Here are some pictures for your reference. Thanks

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Trim

Ghazi:
It looks like the wood stick-on trim is covering the lower dash pad. If you ordered the D59 gauge package in an Impala SS or the A51 bucket seats with gauges in the caprice, you also got a padded lower dash pad. The lower dash pad is necessary when you have gauges to meet up with the upper gauge bezel which in your case they cut off. The standard brushed aluminum trim is correct without gauges.
The lower dash pad is supposed to match the car color interior. I would remove the wood covered trim and try to take off the wood application. You would also have to remove any adhesive, use WD-40 or lighter fluid. If the lower dash pad is not the right color, you can paint it to match correctly.
If this all works out you may want to look for a new bezel that has not been cut-off on the top. The upper bezel surrounds the heater controls.
Also, remove the wood trim from the metal plates installed under the wiper, headlight switch, ignition switch and lighter. The inside color on these should also match the interior color.
Here's a good view of what it should like like in a black interior car:
http://s1285.photobucket.com/user/majestic_lighting/media/IMG_0800_zps8fa6471d.jpg.html

Paul

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Paul

Thanks a lot for your informative reply. This is what I wanted to know since I wasn't sure if I am gonna start working on it or not.
I will follow your directions .. and hopefully will get it done soon.

By the way .. what's with this picture?! Did the guy added instruments or is it the aluminum trim ?!

Thanks again

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Added

All cars without gauges came with aluminum trim, he added gauges and also cut out ducts in the trim. You'll see many pictures of gauges with aluminum trim and plenty where they cut off the top of the gauges because most are not aware that with gauges you must have the lower dash padding. Most people remove the gauges from cars and leave the lower dash padding not knowing.

Paul

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
The wood trim looks like shelf contact paper that is a self adhesive (very tacky and hard to remove) backed vinyl plastic sheet that you cut to size and stick in place after removing the backing paper.

http://www.wikihow.com/Remove-Contact-Paper

I like the alligator leather seat covers.

Big Dave
Thanks for the tip Dave ..Actually I was planning to leave it under the sun for sometime.
I would rather drink the cherry soda :)

I agree with you on the seat covers

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello .. Back after a long break
Actually I got my thoughts together, and decided to start working on the dash.
At 1st I tried my limited skills on the mid console ... it turned out pretty good. My wife thinks the woodgrain looks better.
I don't agree :noway:

·
Premium Member
2,916 Posts
I parted out a 66 Caprice that had lower wood grain trim. Also it had wood grain on the glove box and wood grain pieces on either side of the glovebox.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,156 Posts
Looks very good. Surprised it cleaned up that well. That adhesive was very strong and usually left a lot of residue that turned quickly black. Really hate it!

Big Dave

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I apologize for my late reply .. was kinda occupied with home maintenance that had to wait ..but wife couldn't :)

Eventually the wood sticker came off with a help of WD40 followed by rubbing alcohol. turned out quite good. I gotta change the aluminum cover since its full of scratches.

The lower dash are wasn't that clean though and had cracks under the glove compartment. That why the previous owner had to cover it. any idea how to fix it ?
Regards

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
All cars without gauges came with aluminum trim, he added gauges and also cut out ducts in the trim. You'll see many pictures of gauges with aluminum trim and plenty where they cut off the top of the gauges because most are not aware that with gauges you must have the lower dash padding. Most people remove the gauges from cars and leave the lower dash padding not knowing.

Paul
You are right Paul .. I've seen couple of fine looking Impalas .. with this mistake.
I event was in an argument with an Impala owner, who claimed it is an SS. Was really upset when I proved that its not even an SS, referring to its VIN :beers:
Cheers

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.