Impalas.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a wiring diagram but am not sure where power is coming from on my convertible top switch. There is an orange wire coming out of the switch going up behind the gauge cluster somewhere. I'm sure that is power but I don't know if it is connected to a relay or something else. On the diagram it shows a kind of block but it doesn't say relay and it doesn't look like a relay symbol.

Anyone familiar with this? I'm sure it is similar on other years.

thanks!

·
Registered
394 Posts
The orange wire will run through your firewall and connect to a 30 amp breaker mounted to the firewall. You may not be able to see the orange color of the wire inside of the engine compartment due to paint, grease, etc. This is how it is wired on my 68. Don't think it would be any different for a 67.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The orange wire will run through your firewall and connect to a 30 amp breaker mounted to the firewall. You may not be able to see the orange color of the wire inside of the engine compartment due to paint, grease, etc. This is how it is wired on my 68. Don't think it would be any different for a 67.
You're right! I completely missed the black line for the firewall on the diagram. I chased that orange wire up until it appeared to go into the bundle of wires behind the gauge cluster and then assumed it was up there somewhere.

I don't have any wires coming out of the firewall. But someone had cleared out the engine compartment for painting and never finished putting stuff back. So I'm still sorting a lot of that out. At least now I know where it is supposed to go.

Thanks!

·
Registered
420 Posts
I have a wiring diagram but am not sure where power is coming from on my convertible top switch. There is an orange wire coming out of the switch going up behind the gauge cluster somewhere. I'm sure that is power but I don't know if it is connected to a relay or something else. On the diagram it shows a kind of block but it doesn't say relay and it doesn't look like a relay symbol.

Anyone familiar with this? I'm sure it is similar on other years.

thanks!

My old eyes have no chance of following the diagram you posted :wink2:

Attached is from the '61 shop manual and even I can follow it. I'm providing it simply for info because I do not know if your car is the same. The circuit shown is simple and allows the top to be raised/lowered w/o engine running. Power comes directly from battery which is how I remember my 'almost new' '63 convertible (purchased in '68) operated. Perhaps your car operates on the same concept.

It IS applicable to '63 (at least). My '63 has a 40 amp circuit breaker located behind the drivers side kick panel. It is not labeled but is shown on the diagram.

here's a pic of mine too:

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My old eyes have no chance of following the diagram you posted :wink2:

Attached is from the '61 shop manual and even I can follow it. I'm providing it simply for info because I do not know if your car is the same. The circuit shown is simple and allows the top to be raised/lowered w/o engine running. Power comes directly from battery which is how I remember my 'almost new' '63 convertible (purchased in '68) operated. Perhaps your car operates on the same concept.

It IS applicable to '63 (at least). My '63 has a 40 amp circuit breaker located behind the drivers side kick panel. It is not labeled but is shown on the diagram.

here's a pic of mine too:

Yes mine is very similar. Turns out it is a lot simpler than I thought.

At first I was very confused because of some weird looking control box back there screwed to the convertible well wall. I thought it was some kind of motor controller for the top. Turns out it was a reverb unit for the radio! I've never even seen one of those. Don't think I'll be needing that though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts