Impalas.net banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am still confused on these bucket seats.
I have a set of what I was told are gto seats. The guy was using them in the impala when I bought it. I replaced the tracks because they didn’t fit the car. The new 67 impala tracks from classic industries bolted right on the seats but still seemed too low on one side so I have to use spacers. Something wasn’t right.
I removed the plastic back cover to get a part number and google returned a 1968 gto/chevelle/cutlass seat back.

now I’ve been told all these gm seats 66-68 a and b body are the same except use different tracks and upholstery and backs and a different locking mechanism. So my current 68 cutlass/gto/chevelle seats will work with the 67 tracks. The only issue is the tracks seem too low on one side and I have to use spacers. So what am I missing? Could I have got the wrong tracks from classic?

my 68 a body seats on 67 tracks sitting in the 67 impala

38AD5036-EE74-4336-9E0D-716D27E7AB95.jpeg
DB82C20C-94DE-4D57-A47F-C1D4E00BFE8D.jpeg
FF47F5E4-1E78-4E21-BE36-52B8C979E6FC.jpeg

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
well if anyone is interested, I did find out the information I needed. Apparently most of the GM cars 66-69 used the same bucket seats (gto, chevelle, skylark, impala, caprice, etc), not sure about the bench seats. But different rails and upholstery, different backs and release buttons. So my seat back part number did indicate a chevelle/gto/skylark part number but I installed the Impala tracks on them and they bolted on fine. The reason they were too low on the inside is because I forgot to weld the risers back onto the floor pans. 🙄 I was looking at some parts in the trunk and there sat the seat risers..

The good news here is that any of the seats and parts will work and I can use these cores to build impala seats with different upholstery covers to match the year, etc. And I can buy the backs for Chevelle or gto that will fit right on and are much easier to find than impala parts.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Seats, and what to do about them, are driving me crazy - and I'm not even to my interior yet. The benches that came with the car are in structurally okay/repairable state - still, they will require a full rebuild to be useful. Buckets seem to have a lot of various issues and technicalities to look into swapping in, however your post here is helpful - thanks for that.

I'm mostly stuck on the larger Bucket vs Benches question - I like the idea that the Mrs's could ride the center of the bench with me when cruising (and so does she), but the functional elements of having buckets and a center console (as well as moving my column shifter to the floor...) are a large appeal.

Depending on the day of the week - the math on the budget side of this moves fluidly. :LOL:

Anyway, thanks for the pics and the knowledge.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Have you thought about a Strato-Bench seat? Bucket seat styling and the functionality of a bench seat.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Seats, and what to do about them, are driving me crazy - and I'm not even to my interior yet.
Be careful what you pick. . . the original seats must have set right on the floor. I got some early 00's Grand Am seats, and the wheel is pretty much in my lap and the roof is pretty close to my head at only 5'-8". I have the same seats in my 55, and not even close. When I got my (66) Impala, is had some ugly white mopar seats, didn't think height would be an issue.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts